Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme - recovering files on removed drive

I have increased the drive in my AirPort Extreme.

But, struggling to access and move content from the old original drive to the new one.

I put the original 3,5" 2TB SATA disk in a toaster and connected USB to both to my MACBook and a PC: Cannot access drive.

Hence, when connecting toaster's USB back into AirCapsule's USB inlet; I can see the files but receive "unknown error -8084" when trying to copy.

Any suggestions how to access old HD?

Any special compatibility requirement for the toaster?

Thanks in advance.🙂

AirPort Time Capsule-OTHER, A1470

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 11:49 PM

3 replies

Jun 2, 2015 12:35 AM in response to bootheflyer

The drive is formatted HFS+ and the PC will not be able to see it.

Most USB to Sata drive adapters should have no issues.. but some older ones will fail.

How old is your "toaster"??

I presume you mean something that looks like a USB cradle and you can drop hard disks into .. normally extremely cheap and nasty..

The disk should show in disk utility with 3 partitions.. APconfig, APswap, data.

Here is an old TC disk I pulled out.. very recently.

User uploaded file

You will have issues if the disk was setup with disk password in the TC?? Even worse with restricted access.

But material on the data partition should easily be able to be copied from there to the new disk.. but you might need a better USB adapter.

Jun 2, 2015 1:04 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for reply.

Connecting toaster to my macbook I can see APconfig and APswap; but not the "data" folder.

Data was only visible when connecting back to APE (but could not be copied).

I have no PW set, else than in the WIFI config

A new "toaster" is not very costly so I'll go shopping.

Leaving this thread open for a while.

Thanks!🙂

Example of a Toaster (not mine, yet..):

User uploaded file

Airport Extreme - recovering files on removed drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.