Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn thumbnails into full-resolution photos

I have iPhoto [not yet migrated to Photos] but need to turn thumbnails into full-res images.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.2), iTunes

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 3:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 2:46 PM

either or both would help. I thought the pictures sent from iPhone were full-res but they are too small to be printed. I need to upsize them; or learn how to send full-size photos from iPhone?

The photos taken with the iPhone Camera have a very good resolution, at least the back camera. Only when you zoom in the pixel size will be smaller.

User uploaded file

To transfer the full size photos from your iPhone you have several options:

1. Connect the iPhone to a USB port and import directly from the camera roll to iPhoto. That is the quickest way.
  2. Use the Photo stream, that will transfer the unedited originals.
  3. Share them by Mail, but make sure, you select to send the photo in full resolution.
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2015 2:46 PM in response to l f fromsalisbury

either or both would help. I thought the pictures sent from iPhone were full-res but they are too small to be printed. I need to upsize them; or learn how to send full-size photos from iPhone?

The photos taken with the iPhone Camera have a very good resolution, at least the back camera. Only when you zoom in the pixel size will be smaller.

User uploaded file

To transfer the full size photos from your iPhone you have several options:

1. Connect the iPhone to a USB port and import directly from the camera roll to iPhoto. That is the quickest way.
  2. Use the Photo stream, that will transfer the unedited originals.
  3. Share them by Mail, but make sure, you select to send the photo in full resolution.

Jun 2, 2015 1:08 PM in response to Old Toad

Is there any way of obtaining photos from my mobile [iPhone] which are not thumbnails? is there a work=round to ensure they are full size.

Other question would be to approach it from the other end of the problem: When I post these thumbnails from my Mac = in an email - they are full-size I think, and are at least 64kb - but clearly don't meet criteria for online printing by professional companies.

Very grateful for any help; I have a special family celebration I want to turn into a photo album, and can't do it unless some kind person can help..

Jun 2, 2015 1:49 PM in response to l f fromsalisbury

What are the pixel dimensions on the images? Did you take the photos or did you receive them via messages or email on your iPhone?

Do you have the iCloud Photo Library activated on your iPhone?

How are you downloading the photos to your Macbook? If you still have the photos on your iPhone connect it to your Mac, launch Image Capture and download the photos to a folder on the Desktop. That will give you the largest version of the images that is possible.

Jun 3, 2015 1:09 AM in response to léonie

That is extremely helpful, thank you very much, and for explaining so clearly.

One caveat: if [as I fear] those originals are no longer on the iPhone [my daughter sent them to me] ..is there any way I can now improve their quality? Sending them to myself by email at max allowable size would be tediously slow with so many; but wouldn't work with all the photos as they are sized in kb not mb.

Jun 3, 2015 1:19 AM in response to l f fromsalisbury

l f fromsalisbury wrote:

NB what is Photo stream? It may be part of the new 'photos' which I have chosen not to upgrade to - if it something else please could you say where to find item or how to operate it?

My Photo Stream will automatically transfer any new photos taken on your iPhone to your Mac, if you enable it, see:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201317

You can use it independently of iCloud Photo Library.

Jun 3, 2015 1:29 AM in response to l f fromsalisbury

One caveat: if [as I fear] those originals are no longer on the iPhone [my daughter sent them to me] ..is there any way I can now improve their quality?

If the original photos are no longer on your iPhone, export them from iPhoto with these settings in the Export panel.User uploaded file

Which iPhoto version are you using? iPhoto 9.6.1 will not increase the pixel size beyond the actual pixel size of the original, even if you set the custom size to gigantic values. It will just pretend to do it. You will get the best resolution the photo has, and you can then try to enlarge it in Photoshop.

How do I turn thumbnails into full-resolution photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.