Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5c photo usage is WAAAY higher than it should be, despite switching off PhotoStream, syncing etc

So, my wife's phone - a 5C - is *always* running out of space. She can no longer use it as a camera, to be honest. I have taken a look at this in the past, and stripped the camera/photos usage back to its bare minumum:

* I have disabled PhotoStream (that's 1000 fewer photos stored, then)

* I have not signed up for the iCloud library

* I have disabled *all* syncing options in iTunes

So, all that should be present on the phone is:

* Anything on the camera roll

* Shared PhotoStreams

Despite this, the iPhone is reporting usage as 1.8gb for Photo Library. In addition, when looking at the photos in collection view, there are a lot of grey boxes with no thumbnails.

Something weird is happening here. In short, what it's reporting as being in use is very different from what it *should* be reporting. Screen grabs attached should show what I mean.

Any advice on how to resolve this? I know that removing iPod Photo Cache inside the library has solved similar issues before, but it does mean that I will then have to re-sync all my other devices again (2 iPads, another iPhone), which would be annoying 😟User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 12:46 AM

2 replies

Jun 2, 2015 1:45 AM in response to Ian Lloyd

I'm not an expert, but I think the greyed boxed relate to photos you've deleted from icloud/photo stream. I know it a load of hassle, but the one sure way to free up space is to backup the phone using iTunes, then unplug it & reset to factory settings. After that plug it back in & restore it using the backup from iTunes. Its not for the faint hearted, but it will free up loads of space.

If you check the phone storage in the settings you'll find the most apps are using up memory not just photos. Resetting deletes all this data. Restoring from iTunes puts all the apps back but not the stored data. Be aware though, that some personalised setting will be reset & you'll have to setup your email accounts etc manaully. a 16Gb iPhone will fill its memory quite quickly.

iPhone 5c photo usage is WAAAY higher than it should be, despite switching off PhotoStream, syncing etc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.