Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't see Time Capsule drive in Finder

I thought I was supposed to be able to see the Time Capsule drive in Finder?

I have File Sharing in the Airport Utility turned on. I've done extensive searching and while people seem to have this problem with previous Mac OS versions I can't find solutions for Yosemite. Time Machine works fine.

I have the 2013 TC and OSX 10.10.3 on a 13" rMBP.

Thanks in advance 🙂.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 2:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 3:19 AM

Yosemite is a networking dog.

Try forcing the TC disk to display in finder by typing in its address (ipaddress) manually.

So first of all go to airport utility click the TC and check the LAN IP address.. in router mode by default it is 10.0.1.1 but in bridge it could be anything.

Then in Finder,, top menu, go, connect to server.

Type

SMB://10.0.1.1 (replace with the IP you find in previous step).

Press enter.. when it finds the TC it will ask for a password.. type in your disk access password.. most likely same as your device password and nowadays most people using the airport utility it will be the same password as wireless.

Remember to check the box to store the password in the keychain so you can access it without continually needing the password typed in.

If you have trouble.. remember this is yosemite.. !!

Start over with a factory reset..

Use all very short names, no spaces and pure alphanumeric. Passwords as well meet these specs but can be longer.. mixed case and numbers.

Complex names will confuse poor Yosemite.

Make sure IPv6 is set to link-local only not auto.. Apple still haven't got this one right.

eg for wireless.

User uploaded file

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2015 3:19 AM in response to Fean0r

Yosemite is a networking dog.

Try forcing the TC disk to display in finder by typing in its address (ipaddress) manually.

So first of all go to airport utility click the TC and check the LAN IP address.. in router mode by default it is 10.0.1.1 but in bridge it could be anything.

Then in Finder,, top menu, go, connect to server.

Type

SMB://10.0.1.1 (replace with the IP you find in previous step).

Press enter.. when it finds the TC it will ask for a password.. type in your disk access password.. most likely same as your device password and nowadays most people using the airport utility it will be the same password as wireless.

Remember to check the box to store the password in the keychain so you can access it without continually needing the password typed in.

If you have trouble.. remember this is yosemite.. !!

Start over with a factory reset..

Use all very short names, no spaces and pure alphanumeric. Passwords as well meet these specs but can be longer.. mixed case and numbers.

Complex names will confuse poor Yosemite.

Make sure IPv6 is set to link-local only not auto.. Apple still haven't got this one right.

eg for wireless.

User uploaded file

Jun 2, 2015 3:34 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks. Turns out I was missing something, but I've only realised that thanks to your walkthrough.

I had thought I should see the drive down the left hand Finder pane. Seems I needed to to use Finder's "Go" menu and select "Network". Once I did that it appeared no problem. I was then able to drag and drop it into my "Devices" category in the left hand pane of Finder so I can access it more easily in future.

I'm not sure whether I was being a complete idiot by missing that but I haven't been able to find it explained anywhere!

I'll select this as the "Answer" for anyone coming across this with the same problem - hope you don't mind just getting a "Helpful" vote 🙂.

Jun 2, 2015 2:13 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Well hopefully I won't need to use the Go method again - now that I've dragged the drive into my Devices submenu then it seems to be staying there, although I won't know for sure until I restart my mac and it's still doing its marathon first backup.

So I'm definitely interested - and it'd be useful to have your method here for others in the future; I did quite a bit of searching and couldn't find anyone else with the same problem or any other solutions.

Jun 2, 2015 2:19 PM in response to Fean0r

Normally, the Time Capsule icon will appear in the Finder under the Shared heading on the left panel of the window.

Click on the Time Capsule icon and a folder named "Data" (unless you have renamed the Time Capsule drive) will appear to the right

Double click on Data to mount the drive on the desktop

You can set up "Data" to automatically mount on the desktop whenever you start up your Mac by adding it to the list of Login Items under Users & Groups.

Jun 4, 2015 11:53 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks. I don't seem to be able to see a Shared heading on the left hand panel of Finder, but I was able to find it by going to My Macbook Name > Network > Airport Time Capsule > Time Capsule Disk

(I renamed it from "Data" - glad I did as it now makes more sense on my Devices list).

I had a bit of trouble setting the drive to mount automatically on login but got it working after a trying a few times. I'm not sure what I did differently that meant it wouldn't work and then what I did that made it work though.

I wish I could now put your answer as the "Correct" answer as the solution I posted only works until TM backs up again, then it disappears.

Jun 4, 2015 6:04 PM in response to Fean0r

The Time Capsule will show up under the Shared heading on the left panel in a Finder window by default.

Check Finder Preferences then click the General tab and make sure that a check mark is entered in the box next to Connected Servers.

Then click the Sidebar tab and make sure that a check mark is entered in the box next to Connected Servers

Can't see Time Capsule drive in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.