Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music located on ipod is gone

I went to listen to the music on my ipod and suddenly my ipod could not locate most of it.

I have a 32g ipod 5. Between my dad and I, we have collected a few thousand songs over the years. And over the years we have had a number of different computers on which the music was originally located. We never thought to transfer the music from one computer to the next because it was all on our ipods. (He lost his ipod a couple months ago so we shared mine.) But today when I went to listen to the music, all of the songs that are not on my current computer could not be located, even though they are saved to my ipod.

The songs show that they are located in my ipod, but they have the ⚠ beside them. I have tried to locate them or go into "get info" to try to find them but itunes wont let me try to locate them.

Yes I have restarted my ipod, uninstalled and reinstalled itunes, and signed in and out of my account.

furthermore, the GB free on my ipod changes quite significantly every time I try syncing my ipod in hope of it finding my lost songs. I can't even use software to put the current music from my ipod to the computer because it cant find the music located on my ipod.

Please please help

iPod touch, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 4:25 AM

5 replies

Jun 2, 2015 10:11 AM in response to awack1

Sounds like the music files on the iPod got corrupted. That happens some times.

Try the following but I suspect the music is gone

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup. See:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

Jun 2, 2015 1:09 PM in response to lllaass

So even though it says the music is still there, just not located, I have to repurchase hundreds of dollars worth of songs, hunt down old cd's, old cassets, old computers, just because one day it decided not to work?

Is there any way of preventing it from doing this in the future?

I just don't understand why it worked for years and years then one day everything is gone.

Music located on ipod is gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.