Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Laptop recommendation

Hey guys need some advice.

I recently returned my surface pro 3 and need a new laptop.

My budget is £730 max.

I saw the macbook pro 2012 model for that price 4gb ram and 500gb hd, but specs can be upgraded for that like increase ram to 16gb and use SSD.

I then also saw the macbook air 2015 model, which is also i5 but whic 600 and something.

They were both on ebay brand new verified sellers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-NEW-2015-APPLE-MACBOOK-AIR-1-6-GHz-2-7-13-3-in ch-i5-128GB-MAC-LAPTOP-/171475879732?pt=…

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APPLE-MACBOOK-PRO-MD101-13-3-2-5GHz-500GB-4GB-RAM-Wi-F i-LATEST-MODEL-/291087309867?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43c627dc2b

Ill mainly be using them for browsing and some casual gaming/coding also.

If anyone has any recommendations or any other models in my price range please let me know 🙂

Im UK btw

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 5:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 5:45 AM

I have a macbook pro 2012 and it is the best thing I every bought! Of course the newer models look incredible, but for the money I highly recommend the 2012. I am in school and type a lot of long papers; my favorite feature is the advanced voice recognition. I just sit back and talk to the computer and it types my paper with minimal mistakes. Best of luck!

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2015 5:45 AM in response to zubzstep

I have a macbook pro 2012 and it is the best thing I every bought! Of course the newer models look incredible, but for the money I highly recommend the 2012. I am in school and type a lot of long papers; my favorite feature is the advanced voice recognition. I just sit back and talk to the computer and it types my paper with minimal mistakes. Best of luck!

Jun 2, 2015 6:04 AM in response to zubzstep

Be VERY careful when buying a computer from eBay, especially a Mac. I've heard countless stories will someone will buy a practically brand new used laptop from eBay only to find out it needs an expensive repair. Apple products are very expensive to fix when something goes wrong and sometimes people can't afford those repairs and it's very hard to find the right parts to fix it yourself. So they'll sell the computer for a good price and scam anyone into thinking they got a high-end computer for an amazing price. If the specs are high and the price is low, it's usually too good to be true. If you can, see if you can meet the person who's selling the computer and test it to make sure everything functions properly.

A MacBook Air is pretty good for gaming. My brother has a late 2012 model and he easily plays Minecraft, Garry's Mod, Goat Simulator, and Team Fortress 2 on the highest settings. I'm not too sure about coding though. If you want a powerful computer for heavy work, get a MacBook Pro. If you're gonna be photo editing, get a MacBook Pro with Retina display but avoid the new MacBook for that kind of work. It's only meant for web browsing and light work like word processing and such.

Jun 2, 2015 6:11 AM in response to zubzstep

i am not a gamer personaly 😟. I am a student getting my masters degree which requires writing long papers. I bought my mac because I went through 4 hard drives in old computer and still had continued problems. I finally sprung for the 15 in 700 gig with 2 8 g processors. I don't know about games, but mine is FAST, and never had a problem with it yet, knock on wood. My favorite feature is the advanced voice recognition. I can type 28 pg papers without touching the keyboard except for a few edits.I didn't spring for the retina, but think the resolution is amazing. As a gamer you may want that, and I hope you enjoy it. Love my mac!

Laptop recommendation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.