Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have have emptied my iPhoto trash but not the system trash. Since I have merged many events and changed metadata - is this okay?

Hello.

I have iPhoto still. I have trashed thousands of pictures and emptied the iPhoto trash can BUT NOT THE SYSTEM trash. I have continued to merge events, sort photos and change metadata. Is this going to hurt anything if the system trash is still full of unwanted photos?

Cheers and thanks,
holly

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 7:09 AM

Is this going to hurt anything if the system trash is still full of unwanted photos?

A full system trash should not hurt, only let your iPhoto Trash not get too full.

But you will not be able to put the photos back from your System Trash to the iPhoto Library. Soyou may as well empty the System trash, if you have a backup of the photos you keep deleting.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2015 7:09 AM in response to pinkapplemac

Is this going to hurt anything if the system trash is still full of unwanted photos?

A full system trash should not hurt, only let your iPhoto Trash not get too full.

But you will not be able to put the photos back from your System Trash to the iPhoto Library. Soyou may as well empty the System trash, if you have a backup of the photos you keep deleting.

Jun 2, 2015 7:20 AM in response to léonie

Thank you!

So the pics in the system trash are out of the iPhoto library contents (the one in the finder I NEVER touch?)

I actually have the originals on a drive of most of what is in the system trash from years in PC land but have scavenged from my mail and other photo services irreplaceable pictures, trying to make my iPhoto library pretty close to perfect before I migrate to Photos. My initial import into iPhoto was a hot mess because it was from a PC and years of disorganized, unwanted photos. (I am going to dig in the trash and drag and drop into a folder on the desktop if there's anything worthy of keeping and adding back.)

And yes, I Time Machine too!

My iPhoto trash has been cooperative even with a lot in it. I didn't know until reading here that too many was a bad idea. I have been lucky!

Thanks, leonie!

Jun 2, 2015 9:36 AM in response to pinkapplemac

I did read that iPhoto clears hard drive space only when the system trash is also emptied. Which explains a lot.

That does still hold. The storage will only be freed terminally, when the System Trash is also emptied. The system trash is the last safety line for the photos before they are gone.

But you can remove the photos from the iPhoto Library by emptying the iPhoto Trash without immediately emptying the System Trash.

I have have emptied my iPhoto trash but not the system trash. Since I have merged many events and changed metadata - is this okay?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.