Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp partition gets corrupted after every windows boot on my 2015 MacBook retina 12"

i have installed Windows 8 professional, windows 8.1 enterprise, and windows 10 technical preview (version 10074), each using a clean partitioning using bootcamp assistant. In each case, windows installs, but if I run OS X disk utility (10.10.3) on bootcamp partition i get "disk needs to be repaired message in red". After I run repair option the verify shows a clean windows partition, but when I boot windows and go back to Yosemite I get same disk error. I use bootcamp assistant with install drivers option and windows ISO to make install media on a flash drive. Moreover, parallels for Mac does not see the windows partition, even if I try the "custom" way to make boot camp VM, where you basically set up a VM without ANY INSTALL MEDIA and then look for your windows partition in the "disk" tab of the hardware section of the "customize" menu in parallels. The disk pull down menu has a "bootcamp" partition option, but in my case it's grayed out and it says "no device", even though disk utility sees it and the windows partition boots. I use paragon NTFS for Mac v12 to make bootcamp accessible to dIsk utility. That said if I disable the NTFS driver (easy to do in control panel. I still get corrupted bootcamp partition. I even tried reformatting whole flash hdd, but no help after 10.10.3 reinstall. Early adopter blues as the 4kb block size in this machine (all2015 Mbs) rendered my win lone image from my previous 2013 Mha with a 512BS useless. Tech at Genius Bar was nice but not able to offer any new insights. Any help is greatly appreciated, I really need windows for select applications and find the bootcamp native boot/parallels access within OS X optimal for my needs.

THere re are some issues with native wibrows environment As well. For example, chkdsk runs and reports no problems, but chkdsk /F stalls at "100% complete". In other words it does not reboot. Also, free upgrade to 8.1 from App Store in 8 gives me 0x08004005 right at the end of the install process at the "restarting" status. All drivers look ok in device manager, except if I'm usin the USB C VGAadapter needed for windows installation. It shows up with a driver error but wore at least for usb functionality (didn't test vga functionality).

SOrry for for long post but it's a complicated and has been a time consuming. Problem to say the least

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 2015 MacBook retina 12-inch 1.3 GHz

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 7:23 AM

15 replies

Jun 2, 2015 8:48 AM in response to nmr600

1. Disk Utility should not be used to repair/verify a NTFS partition.

2. Third-party NTFS software will cause problems due to contention between Apple NTFS driver and third-partyy software. It should be removed. Uninstallation at times has left KEXTs in an indeterminate state because the third-party does not clean uninstall. Please see Re: Re: Unable to mount Bootcamp in Finder after Yosemite update as an example.

3. You are running into BCD corruption due to third-party software to get BSODs .

4. Do not allow Windows to update any drivers. WHQL drivers are not the same as BC drivers from Apple.

Jun 3, 2015 7:45 AM in response to Loner T

Thank you for the response. It all seems like good advice. Unfortunately, even after uninstalling Paragon NTFS drivers for mac, reinstalling yosemite, confirming boot camp windows drivers are being used, and doing a clean Boot Camp windows install, Parallel;s still does not recognize my Boot Camp partition. It is listed as "not active" in the disk pull down. The same partition is recognized by disk utility and can boot Windows natively. There is something different about this new 2015 macbook retina in my opinion.

Jun 4, 2015 9:24 AM in response to Loner T

Thank you for your continued help. As best I could follow the relevant part of the link you provided, I checked /Library/Filesystems, and there was nothing in there. AS I said, I uninstalled paragon NTFS for Mac and reinstalled10.10.3, and repaired permission. I am attaching the Parallels screen shot you requested along with partition information from gdisk and the windows disk management. the partitions look as I think they should, but I defer to your

expertise if you have any suggestions.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Jun 4, 2015 9:47 AM in response to nmr600

In OSX, can you run Disk Utility and select the Bootcamp Disk and post a screen shot.

User uploaded file

As a test, can you uninstall/remove Parallels and check if the Bootcamp partition shows up in System Preferences -> Startup Disk? To ensure that are no hanging KEXTs, you may also need to re-install the current version of OSX to you get the correct KEXTs.

Jun 5, 2015 6:39 AM in response to Loner T

Hi, I am attaching the screen shot. I overlapped the "startup" disk panel in an area of disk utility window that has no information. These screen shots are WITH parallels installed. Everything looks the same when I uninstall parallels. I already tried doing an OS X reinstall, but unfortunately that did not solve problem.

Thank you

User uploaded file

Jun 5, 2015 8:09 AM in response to nmr600

How is you EFI partition about 300MB? Typically, you should have

diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 741.7 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

4: Microsoft Basic Data rMBPBCMP 258.0 GB disk0s4

Jun 5, 2015 9:44 AM in response to Loner T

Sorry, to clarify, 1) if was PARAGON NTFS 12 for mac, and 2) I got no corruption message during widows boot, unless you mean diskutil in OS X when I ran "verify" on the NTFS partition, which you said is a no-no. I cannot remember exactly, but the message in "verify" was something (paraphrase), 'disk utility could no complete verification, please run repair as soon as possible' (in bold red). Then I would run repair and the disk would be "repaired" until the next time I booted windows. then the verify would repeat error, etc. I uninstalled Paragon NTFS 12 for mac. Wiped the entire HDD (reformatted to 500 GB HFS+), did a clean Yosemite instal, retrieved my data and programs through migration assistant, and re-ran boot Camp assistant to make a new windows partition that you see in above screen shots. Perhaps the migration assistant reinstalled a corrupted kext? if so, this is a big problem because I cant image reinstalling every program by hand. For one thing, some would lose the product key and even though I have them I would get the too many computers using this product key" error. I did make a new Vanila user (administrator) and tried running parallels from that user and no dice (or no boot camp).

Jun 5, 2015 11:18 AM in response to nmr600

I Use superDuper! It's served me well for 7 years. Time machine doesn't fit with my frequent MacBook upgrades as it overwrites my backup if I forget to turn it off at initial setup. Other things I don't like are that it saves every VM ONCE I open it because to time machine it's an updated file. Fills up my disk and wastes resources backing up. If I exclude vm's from backup I risk lososing them, I store most impoetant data on dropbox or box anyway (but not VM's).

I Use a flash drive created in boot Camp assistant that has widows iso source and BC DRIVERS added by boot Camp (no image, clean install).

ill try that. Format drive as hfs+, install Yosemite clean and then ONLY install bootcamp windows and then only parallels and see what happens. I'll let you know and thanks.

Bootcamp partition gets corrupted after every windows boot on my 2015 MacBook retina 12"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.