Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

yosemite problems, haven't found solutions yet

Mid 2010 MBP, HD is not apple but there were no problems with it before Yosemite. I'm writing this from the computer itself in the hopes that it'll hold out long enough.

- screen goes black without warning, the sound will continue

- has trouble coming back from sleep

- the hardboot I have to do after those two things mostly causes it to go to the login screen with a non-responsive keyboard and trackpad. All connections have been checked to the motherboard, they're fine.

- coming out of sleep to login window also USUALLY results in same non-responsiveness. So more often than it working.

- won't boot completely and just goes to a black screen and stays there after non-responsive login screen or not even making it that far

Have tried:

- SMC reset

- NVRAM reset

- booting through restore and running disk utility

- booting safe and restarting

- running disk utility after successful boot/login, the only ones that come up on a permissions repair are ARD agent and something about a printer group. I don't have a printer so that's magic. Disk is fine according to DU.

- various ways of going into sleep to see if it makes a difference on coming out

Problem still occurring. I've scoured so many threads both on and off apple support. I have my lion disks if need be but that's really a last resort. I'm not comfortable working with terminal because I'm not sure how to read what it's spitting out properly. It works for a couple days wonderfully at a time and then is crap for hours and days in a row. I have a backup 2008 white macbook 13" but it's running 10.5.8 and I've set this one for remote access. I have two user accounts my main one and my admin. I have only one third party app on here right now, Chrome.

Help 😟

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 7:56 AM

6 replies

Jun 2, 2015 9:40 AM in response to katansi

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data, then reinstall the OS.* You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need the backup unless something goes wrong. If the system was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you may need the Apple ID and password you used.

There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it. The same goes for Xcode. All other data will be preserved.

*The linked support article refers to OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite"), but the procedure is the same for OS X 10.7 ("Lion") and later.

Jun 2, 2015 9:50 AM in response to Linc Davis

Ok. Before doing that, since I've been reading a lot on this, what can I do to make this stop happening since it appears that Yosemite is just unpredictably buggy for a lot of people in similar ways? The OS was installed by someone who does this for a living so I don't really doubt that it was done correctly in the first place. Is there a known cause for this or is it just shooting in the dark?

Jun 2, 2015 9:56 AM in response to katansi

If you prefer to skip that step, see below.

You have the MacBookPro6,2—the Edsel of Macs. It may have the logic-board defect that was covered by a recall program that has now ended.

Residents of the EU may be entitled to warranty service for up to six years after purchase.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider, to have the machine tested. The routine hardware diagnostics used by service providers do not detect the fault. There is a specific test for this issue that Apple calls "VST" (for "Video Switching Test.") Ask for it. A "Failed" result means that the fault is present.

You may be quoted a price of about $300 (in the U.S.) for a "depot repair," which involves shipping the unit to a central repair facility and takes about two weeks. For that flat fee, anything found wrong with it should be fixed, not just the logic board.

Sometimes the replacement part is also defective, so be prepared for that possibility. If you decide to pay for a new logic board, test thoroughly during the 90-day warranty period on the repair. Some owners have reported that they went through as many as three replacement boards before getting one that worked.

If you don't want to pay for the repair, you may (or may not) be able to work around the problem by disabling automatic graphics switching. To use the discrete graphics processor, you'll need a third-party utility to switch to it manually.

Often the problems start after an OS upgrade. If the upgrade was recent, and you have backups, then you can revert to a previous OS X version.

yosemite problems, haven't found solutions yet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.