Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extention settings greyed out in Safari

Hi

When I'm opening Safari settings the Extentions tab looks like this. I cannot manage Ad Block or other extensions.

User uploaded file

I've tried solutions mentioned in a previous discussion (LINK) but with no luck. The only thing that changed was the size of the settings window

User uploaded file

I have tried reinstalling OS X, and it did not help.

At the time I do not have the luxury to format and reinstall OS X, and if anyone knows a workaround I would appreciate it.

OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

Safari 8.0.6

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 8:19 AM

Uninstall "SIMBL" or "EasySIMBL" as follows. Back up all data before making any changes.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

/Library

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V, then press return. A folder will open. From that folder, delete the items listed below (some may be absent.) You may be prompted for your administrator login password.

Application Support/SIMBL

InputManagers/SIMBL

LaunchAgents/net.culater.SIMBL.Agent.plist

LaunchAgents/net.infinite-labs.SIMBLEnablerForSandboxedApps.plist

ScriptingAdditions/EasySIMBL.osax

ScriptingAdditions/SIMBL.osax

Log out and log back in. There may also be an item named "EasySIMBL" in the Applications folder. Delete it, if so.

Make sure you never reinstall any variant of SIMBL. It’s likely to come bundled with another third-party system modfication that depends on it. If you want trouble-free computing, avoid software that makes miraculous changes to other software, especially built-in applications. The only real exception to that rule is Safari extensions, which are mostly safe, and are easy to get rid of when they don’t work. SIMBL and its dependents are not Safari extensions.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2015 8:19 AM in response to Last Wordz

Uninstall "SIMBL" or "EasySIMBL" as follows. Back up all data before making any changes.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

/Library

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V, then press return. A folder will open. From that folder, delete the items listed below (some may be absent.) You may be prompted for your administrator login password.

Application Support/SIMBL

InputManagers/SIMBL

LaunchAgents/net.culater.SIMBL.Agent.plist

LaunchAgents/net.infinite-labs.SIMBLEnablerForSandboxedApps.plist

ScriptingAdditions/EasySIMBL.osax

ScriptingAdditions/SIMBL.osax

Log out and log back in. There may also be an item named "EasySIMBL" in the Applications folder. Delete it, if so.

Make sure you never reinstall any variant of SIMBL. It’s likely to come bundled with another third-party system modfication that depends on it. If you want trouble-free computing, avoid software that makes miraculous changes to other software, especially built-in applications. The only real exception to that rule is Safari extensions, which are mostly safe, and are easy to get rid of when they don’t work. SIMBL and its dependents are not Safari extensions.

Extention settings greyed out in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.