Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In single user mode, how do I find out the folder names in my user account?

iMac 27 inch

around year 2011

1TB HD

4GB RAM

I'm backing up my files to an external HD using single user mode since I'm downgrading to Mavericks from Yosemite. I used "cp -r".

((Unimportant details you can skip but which might be useful fyi: I had to use single user mode because, after upgrading to Yosemite my iMac would only successfully boot up once in dozens of restarts, even after using all the options I could find to avoid freezing at the white/black/grey screens, including fsck, recovery mode, resetting PRAM, and so on. I guess my Mac is just too old for the latest operating systems.))

The problem is it's been so long since I turned on my Mac that I've forgotten the folder names under my user account (Macintosh HD > Users > name-of-user). I know for sure there are the default folders like Documents, Downloads, Music, Movies, Public, etc. but I'm unsure of the rest. Is there a way to see a list of the folders? I tried "ls" but it didn't work.

Thanks,

Mia

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 27 inch, 1TB, 2011

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 8:36 AM

Use:

ls -A /Users/yourname/

(128205)

1 reply

In single user mode, how do I find out the folder names in my user account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.