Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid-2010 27" iMac HDD failed

I fired up my iMac this morning and the hard disk just died :-(

I was asking around for help on how I go about replacing it when a work colleague told me that there was a problem with the Seagate hard drives in the mid-2010 27" iMacs, and that it should have been recalled and replaced by Apple?

Is that the case? Were there issues with these Seagate drives? And if so, how to I go about getting it swapped out?

Assuming that the information I received above isn't true, what's the cost of having the hard disk replaced, and do I need to go back to an Apple store to get it done?

Thanks...

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 9:29 AM

2 replies

Jun 2, 2015 9:54 AM in response to MDT48

You have a few options.

Here's some more information on the drive replacements. You'll have to contact Apple for the specifics:

http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-extends-imac-hard-drive-replacements-to-09-10-mod els/

If the drive isn't eligible for the program, you can get the machine repaired via the Apple Store, though I don't know what the price would be. On the other hand, some have swapped the HD themselves; it takes some knowhow, but there are several vendors that offer instructions.

Jun 2, 2015 10:15 AM in response to poikkeus1

Thanks for that, but it doesn't look like there's a recall for iMacs on the link through from the CNET story - I suppose that Apple might have ended the recall.

I also can't turn the machine on to find the serial number - I've got this number on my original invoice MC511B/A - does that look like it could be the serial number?

I assume that if I contact Apple, they'll want that.

Guess I'll be phoning an Apple store tomorrow then.

Mid-2010 27" iMac HDD failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.