Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I open a dmg file? It was suppose to be simple??

I have had this very irritating problem for god knows how long time now. When i want to open/download any dmg files, nothing happens. That means that I cannot update flash player etc. And that is IRRITATING!!!

There must be a simple way to fix this?

iMac, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 11:28 AM

9 replies

Jun 2, 2015 11:56 AM in response to thomasfromringsted

Does the grey window show any text telling you to restart?

Can you download this disk image & try opening it to see if it does the same thing…

QuickTime Player 7 for Mac OS X v10.6.3 or later

Disk Utility can also 'mount' disk images. Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility & drag the disk image into the left sidebar. Select the disk image & click mount in the toolbar. That should allow it to appear in Finder.

Use the Finder's 'Go Menu > Computer' to open the folder that shows all attached disks. Can you see the disk image mounted in that window?

Jun 2, 2015 1:31 PM in response to thomasfromringsted

That is just your browser window. You need to open the downloaded file, they should be downloaded in the background. Safari shows nothing in the browser window when a file is downloading.

The downloads should be saved into a folder on the Mac. Normally this is in your Dock (like a shortcut) and inside your home folder.

Use one of the following…

Safari's View menu > Show downloads. Then double click the item to open or right click it to 'reveal in Finder'.

Open the Downloads folder from the Finders 'Go' Menu. Your disk images should be contained inside there.

Jun 2, 2015 3:02 PM in response to thomasfromringsted

Check Safari's preferences for the location set to save the downloaded files & then look in that location. You may want to select the popup that lists the current folder & re-select the downloads folder or your Desktop.

Can you also try another user account to see if the issue is with your own account. You may need to create another account for testing, System Preferences > Users & groups is where you can add one (it can be deleted later).

Why can't I open a dmg file? It was suppose to be simple??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.