Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downgrading from Yosemite

I have a white MacBook that shipped with Snow Leopard 10.6.3, and had upgraded to Yosemite not long ago — and I regretted. I would like to revert my MacBook OS to Snow Leopard because I prefer working with SL the most.

After backing up all my data, I erased the hard drive and wanted to do a clean install of SL. However, whenever I try to boot up from the Installation DVD/USB, it gave me a kernel panic, requiring me to power off my Macbook.

I have tried starting up with Yosemite installation USB and it load up fine. Just not SL. Why? Everytime I load, it shows kernel panic.

Please help! I don't want to install Yosemite again!

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 9:03 AM

2 replies

Jun 2, 2015 10:07 AM in response to muddymop

Are you holding the option key while booting? Are you absolutely certain you are using the same discs that came with the Mac? Kernel panics tend to occur when using discs that did not ship with the system.

If you have the same MB that I have, you must use the 10.6.3 discs and nothing earlier. If you are using the right discs they may be faulty.

You can buy a new retail copy of Snow Leopard for $19.99 with free shipping at the Apple Store (IMO if you like SL then it's worth the $20): http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Downgrading from Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.