Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Still Image Duration Preference Doesn't Work

I have 141 still images I'm making a slideshow with.

I went into FCP X's preferences to Editing:Still Images:Duration and changed it to 3 seconds. I then select them all in the browser and then press E and they all get placed on the timeline with a 10:01 duration, not 3 seconds.

Is this a bug? It is completely ignoring the setting I put in its preferences.

And I can't figure out how to change the duration of those already placed in the timeline. How do you do something very basic as to change the duration of 141 images on your timeline? When I go into Info with them all selected on the timeline, there is no option to change the duration.

Thank you!
Scot

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 9:38 AM

6 replies

Jun 2, 2015 10:48 AM in response to Scot Walker

I think this stems from a misconception of what "editing duration" means.

Still images in the browser can have selections on them, like any other clip. When you drag a still from the browser to the timeline, or select a bunch of stills and press E, for example, the duration on the timeline is determined by whatever portion(s) of these images are selected in the event browser.

So in effect there are two instances where this "editing duration" is applied (and it is working AFAICT):

1) dragging images from the photo browser to the timeline

2) dragging images from the Finder (or another application) directly to the timeline

Jun 2, 2015 11:10 AM in response to Russ H

I agree, but now I get how it works.

Apple's Motion brings it into the timeline from the file browser at the selected duration in the preferences, so Apple's not consistent on this behavior. Every app I've ever used works this way too.

I doubt many professionals use the Photo Browser. I don't, anyway. I have project folders for my clients and I have their assets in there. I don't import all those assets into iPhoto (or Photo, which I haven't even used yet).

Thanks

Still Image Duration Preference Doesn't Work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.