Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you change sort order in Photos in iOS 7

How do you change the sort order in Photos in iOS 7. I want to sort the photos in an album by title but it shows them only by date created. In iPhoto on my iMac(OSX 10.9.5) I can sort by title, date, keyword, or rating.

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 11:08 AM

9 replies

Jun 17, 2015 4:09 PM in response to buzzmobile

Several months ago an apple update scrambled all my photos and put them in order of dates and all my organized titles were gone and I was livid as I have over 7,000 photos that were organized. Someone from apple was kind enough to help me restore my iPhoto program yet on my desktop the icon for the new "photos" app still appears and opens up when I plug in my iPhone. Can I drag that old icon to the trash to get rid of it without damaging the photo app somehow. I'm afraid to do that but would like that new program to disappear and not come up any more. thanks, Dale

Jul 2, 2015 3:22 PM in response to dalepanchesin

I'm not sure this is going to help, but here goes anyway. I have an album in Photos on my Mac with nearly 500 photos which I've sorted alphabetically by title (manually - because, unlike in iPhoto, that's the only way you can do it in Photos). When I sync this album to my iPhone using iTunes, the photos remain in title order (NOT date order). So far, so good.

The 500 photo album was a bit unwieldy so I split it into four smaller albums on the Mac (titles A-G, H-L ...etc), each sorted alphabetically by title, and then synced these to the phone. On the phone, the four smaller albums lose the alphabetic sort and appear to be in date order. The 500 photo album remains in title order on the phone.

So the answer is that photos are NOT always in date order on the phone.

However, the conditions under which the sync decides to use title order or date order on the iPhone are a mystery to me.

Jeff

Jul 2, 2015 4:27 PM in response to buzzmobile

So I see all the comments asking how to change the sort order with this new software for iPhoto. I hate it and had a support team member revert my program back to the original format. They still have not answered my original question. The OLD icon still appears on my dash board and is activated whenever I plug my iPhone into the computer. Can I drag the OLD icon to trash or will that ruin my photo program all together. Where do I go to find the answer to the question? I've so far just gone in circles and seems everyone else is upset with the new sorting method. Hate it!!

Jul 2, 2015 5:01 PM in response to dalepanchesin

You're going to have to tell us what you mean by the "old icon". Is it iPhoto or Photos? I take it you're running iPhoto after reverting back to the original application and library. Is that correct.

If Photos is opened each time you connect your iPhone go the iPhone window and in the upper right hand corner make sure this checkbox is unchecked.

User uploaded file

If that doesn't do the job open Image Capture with the iPhone connected and in the lower left hand corner set it to No application or iPhoto.

User uploaded file

Just drag the "old" icon out of the dock and forget it.

User uploaded file

How do you change sort order in Photos in iOS 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.