Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New diary entries go in to iCal, then go blank and move!

This is a new problem. Have been running all the family calendars from my Mac calendar, which syncs perfectly via iCloud to all the necessary devices. So far so good.

However, just in the past few days, every time I put in a new diary entry, it takes all the details, goes into the calendar, is visible, then just reverts within 5-10 seconds to "New Event" and takes out all the time and location details. Often the entry moves as well. I now sit and watch after entering each entry, and it's the same pattern every time. If I then go in and re-edit the "New Event" and reinsert the details, it stays, but it is a bore to have to remember to do every diary entry twice.

I am not aware of having changed any settings, or the way we operate anything - same devices have been set up to sync to this account for years without any prior troubles. Have not upgraded operating system since going to Mavericks at the beginning of the year.

Any ideas anyone please? Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 9:37 AM

3 replies

Aug 8, 2015 7:49 PM in response to FelicitasB

I've had the same problem as well. It was ocaissional over the last couple weeks, and I thought the problem was somehow me. But now it is constant. I have NOT SOLVED it yet, Apple is working with me to troubleshoot (we have a call for 10am tomorrow) but a few interesting things I have learned, in my case:

-The occurrence of the problem (whether or not it happens) depends on whether the appointment being scheduled is on an iCloud calendar or not. The problem of the appointments reverting to "New Event" only happens with calendars that are in iCloud. I have one generic calendar (called "Calendar") that is on my computer itself and when I make an appointment for that Calendar, the problem does not occur.

-The occurrence of the problem also depends on whether I am making the appointment in iCal (on my desktop), on my iPhone, or via iCloud. The problem only occurs when I am using iCal (on my desktop).

To be continued.... in the meantime, a huge time waster, super frustrating, obviously.

Aug 9, 2015 9:59 AM in response to froggywrecker

OK, this problem is "SEMI-SOLVED" but I thought it would help to post it, since I spoke with a total of 4 people from Apple on the phone, including a Senior person:

•Again, per my earlier post this problem, for me, only occurs on my desktop, in Calendars (sorry, I said "iCal" above, old habits!).

•Despite many attempts at all kinds of solutions (including unloading iCloud, deleting everything in the Calendars folder, etc.), ultimately, the recommendation from Apple, in order to be able to not have the appointments go blank, is to change how you schedule the appointments, specifically:

-It is now a two step process, rather than the one step process I have been using for years (annoying, yes).

-First, create a New Event. Obviously, the event is blank.

-In the upper right corner, select the Calendar that pertains to the event.

-Without inputting any more information (in other words, it is a blank New Event, but you have changed the calendar), close the event.

-Click somewhere/anywhere in Calendar outside of the New Event (on the day before, or whatever).

-Now, double click on the event, and edit it: add the pertinent information (event, time, remidners, etc.) and close.

This "solved" the problem for me. We'll see how long it takes me to get used to it! Hope that helps kindof.

New diary entries go in to iCal, then go blank and move!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.