Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden Battery Issue. Help please.

Hi there,

Until Sunday (2 days ago) my classic 160gb worked fine, battery was as usual, Synced on Sunday night, now my battery lasts no more than 1 hour.

Even when off and locked the battery just loses all its charge. Has anyone else had an issue like this?

It is only 18 months old, and was a replacement from the Apple store in Glasgow, so that was £90 now it'll probably be another £45 for a replacement battery. 😠.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009), Windows 8

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 1:08 PM

4 replies

Jun 3, 2015 12:37 PM in response to clarkie18

If you are charging it by plugging it into your computer, and then iTunes kicks in, may I suggest charging it with and external charger? For example, any USB power outlet should be able to charge your iPod.

I suggest this because my Classic went through a "phase" recently where iTunes would see it and then disconnect the iPod without Syncing - and the battery would drain down as a result of being connected to iTunes. On the last occasion, it left the iPod's battery fully drained.

I then charged my iPod using an external USB charger. Once fully charged (and the following day) I plugged into my computer and iTunes recognised it and carried out a Sync without any problems.

I don't really understand what happened, or why, but if the same issue occurred again, I would try the same thing in the hope of fixing it quickly.

Jun 3, 2015 2:36 PM in response to the fiend

Thanks for replying,

have tried charging through laptop, usb charger and an external docking station. There has been nothing able to stop the warm area on the case which i suspect is a short circuit in the little cable from the battery to the logic board, which is causing the rapid drain of the battery.

Have found nothing similarto this on any forum or even apples own customer service system.

Jun 7, 2015 9:58 AM in response to clarkie18

Just to inform, apple customer services via telephone, have never heard of this issue, and informed myself that it would be replaced free of charge.

Apple store in Braehead decidedthat it was such a common issue and obviously battery related, i would have to be charged £45 to replace it, on top of the £190 to buy the feckin thing, and £90 to replace it 18 months ago.

Sometimes i hate apple. Will be seriously looking for another option.

Sudden Battery Issue. Help please.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.