Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set up a "Flag" like a tab color change

How to have the tab color change when a particular cell has an entry. Or some other "Flag" that the cell has an entry, like the file name gets a "Warning" extension, or some other idea anyone may have. What I'd like exactly is if I select a line of text from a cell that is a pop up window I get a flag of some sort, other than the content of the cell changing. thx.

Numbers 3.2-OTHER

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 10:27 AM

There is conditional highlighting in Numbers. You can set a table to have the cells that meet certain criteria change color, font style, or change the color of the Font. Is that what you are looking for?

This is how conditional highlighting works;

1. Choose the cells that you want the condition to be set to.
  2. In the upper right hand corner of the Number's window you will see a box that is labeled Format, select that box.
  3. Then at the top of the menu that appears select Cell.
  4. At the bottom of the menu you will see Conditional Highlighting, Select choose Highlighting rules.
  5. Follow the prompts and go from there,

if you need any more help or this didn't solve you problem just ask.

Charles

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2015 10:27 AM in response to pmn design

There is conditional highlighting in Numbers. You can set a table to have the cells that meet certain criteria change color, font style, or change the color of the Font. Is that what you are looking for?

This is how conditional highlighting works;

1. Choose the cells that you want the condition to be set to.
  2. In the upper right hand corner of the Number's window you will see a box that is labeled Format, select that box.
  3. Then at the top of the menu that appears select Cell.
  4. At the bottom of the menu you will see Conditional Highlighting, Select choose Highlighting rules.
  5. Follow the prompts and go from there,

if you need any more help or this didn't solve you problem just ask.

Charles

Jun 2, 2015 11:38 AM in response to charles.christian14

Thanks Charles. I know about Conditional Highlighting. What I'd like is more complex. Let me try to ask again another way.

I would like the tab of a multiple page file to change color (or some other "flag" other than a color change) if a particular cell has an entry. For example; If I enter "Not In" into a cell, the tab of that page turns from the default blue color to red. In addition, it would be great if the file name also had an extension added to it--for example; file name, Product_Counts.numbers would become Product_Counts-ERROR.numbers. "ERROR" would be added to the numbers file name when the cell has an entry. Thanks again for any help.

Jun 2, 2015 2:05 PM in response to pmn design

Hi pnm,

We don't have the control you are looking for of the sheet tabs. Our only control is over the name of the sheet itself and that we have to edit by hand.

It would be possible to write a script that, once run, would change the file name as you are suggesting. It would not be automatic, and someone with more experience than I would have to write it.

It would be possible to build a table that would list in what sheets::tables::cells you have chosen "Not In". You could locate it on its own sheet. It becomes a matter of how much you are willing to work at it.

quinn

How to set up a "Flag" like a tab color change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.