Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer my backup to my Macbook?

How do I transfer my backup files from my Mac Formatted backup external drive to my new macbook?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 11:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2015 11:19 AM

Howdy!

It sounds like you want to restore the backup of your previous computer that you made with Time Machine to your new computer. This article should help you be able to do that:

OS X Yosemite: Recover your entire system

If you use Time Machine to back up your Mac, you can recover your system if your system or startup disk is damaged.

Important: Use your Time Machine backup to restore your system to the Mac that is the source of the backup. To transfer your information to a new Mac, use Migration Assistant.

If you’re restoring your system because of a problem with your startup disk, repair or replace the disk before following these instructions.

1. Make sure your Time Machine backup disk is connected and turned on. If your disk is on a network, make sure your Mac is on the same network.

2. Choose Apple menu > Restart. After your Mac restarts and you hear the startup chime, hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys.

When the Apple logo appears, you can release the keys.

3. Select “Restore from a Time Machine Backup,” then click Continue.

4. Do one of the following:

• External backup disk: Select it, then click Continue.

• Time Capsule: Choose your network from the AirPort menu on the right side of the menu bar, select your Time Capsule, then click “Connect to Remote Disk.”

• Network backup disk: Select it, then click “Connect to Remote Disk.”

5. If necessary, enter the name and password you use to connect to your backup disk, then click Connect.

6. Select the date and time of the backup you want to restore, then follow the onscreen instructions.

After you restore your system, Time Machine may perform a full backup at the next scheduled backup time. This is normal. Time Machine resumes incremental backups after the full backup is completed.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Sterling

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2015 11:19 AM in response to New Brunswick Mac

Howdy!

It sounds like you want to restore the backup of your previous computer that you made with Time Machine to your new computer. This article should help you be able to do that:

OS X Yosemite: Recover your entire system

If you use Time Machine to back up your Mac, you can recover your system if your system or startup disk is damaged.

Important: Use your Time Machine backup to restore your system to the Mac that is the source of the backup. To transfer your information to a new Mac, use Migration Assistant.

If you’re restoring your system because of a problem with your startup disk, repair or replace the disk before following these instructions.

1. Make sure your Time Machine backup disk is connected and turned on. If your disk is on a network, make sure your Mac is on the same network.

2. Choose Apple menu > Restart. After your Mac restarts and you hear the startup chime, hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys.

When the Apple logo appears, you can release the keys.

3. Select “Restore from a Time Machine Backup,” then click Continue.

4. Do one of the following:

• External backup disk: Select it, then click Continue.

• Time Capsule: Choose your network from the AirPort menu on the right side of the menu bar, select your Time Capsule, then click “Connect to Remote Disk.”

• Network backup disk: Select it, then click “Connect to Remote Disk.”

5. If necessary, enter the name and password you use to connect to your backup disk, then click Connect.

6. Select the date and time of the backup you want to restore, then follow the onscreen instructions.

After you restore your system, Time Machine may perform a full backup at the next scheduled backup time. This is normal. Time Machine resumes incremental backups after the full backup is completed.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Sterling

How do I transfer my backup to my Macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.