Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home sharing works for my iPhone 4 but not iPad 3, it hangs on connecting

Sorry, and yes, I have read the Troubleshooting Home Sharing, but I cannot understand why my iPad 3 will not connect to our macbook air. iPhone 4 on iOS7 does fine, whereas iPad 3 on iOS 8 doesn't. I go into Music on the iPad, select More option, select Shared. I then get the circle for the connection which completes and instead of being able to access all the music on the macbook, it hangs on Music, with nothing on the screen being selectable. It has just hung.

I can come out of the app with the usual gesture or Home button and on returning to Music, I can select the music on the iPad. But if I go back into More, select Shared, select the macbook library, the same thing happens or the app drops out back to the home screen.

I have the latest version of iTunes on the macbook and it works with the iPhone anyway. Neither of the idevices need a Music app update. I have 6 GB left of 56GB on the iPad, so don't think it would be the capacity of the iPad.

Anyone got any ideas? There are so many posts on this, but doesn't seem to be one like this and this sounds like a glitch and not some network share issue or port issue.

Ta

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 6

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 12:21 PM

2 replies

Jun 4, 2015 1:32 AM in response to mudshark_baby

Similar problem 😟

No solutions to speak of just some observations.

PC running Windows 8.1 connected via LAN to router/modem.

ITunes v 12.1.2.27

Apple TV v3 connected via LAN cable to same router/modem.

Movies, music, podcasts, and pictures all streaming beautifully via the AppleTV. No issues there, works like a charm.

IPAD 2 mini v2 - IOS 8.3

Unable to stream movies or music....? The share icon is there. You can click on the shared library (residing on the PC) The round download circle spins for a bit and appears to start downloading. It usually stops about half way around and that is that....???

Shame there isn't some kind of event log to check on the iPAD. Bit lacking in that department.

Anyway, the weird thing is if I grab my old iPod touch v? Running IOS 6.1, sharing works like a charm.... Movies play. Music plays.. All good

Thought it might be a space issue. iPAD has about 4gig free but the iPOD only has 520meg. So that blows that theory out the window.

If anyone can deduce anything out of that, be my guest 🙂

Home sharing works for my iPhone 4 but not iPad 3, it hangs on connecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.