Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

delete track numbers from music files

Hi - I can only find old posts about this - is there any recent help about bulk editing MP3 files please? I have imported all of my cds using itunes but hate the numbers in front of the file name. It will take me ages to manually rename each one. I use Windows8 and have the most recent version of Itunes if anyone can help I would be very grateful

Linda

iPod nano (7th generation), Windows 8

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 11:22 AM

3 replies

Jun 2, 2015 3:00 PM in response to lbyham

I'd recommend you leave iTunes to do its thing. There is usually no good reason to poke around inside the media folders. Should you ever be using a program that relies on filenames instead of tags then the leading digits ensure tracks play in the correct order. That said, if you really want to get rid of them I have a script called StripTrackNumbers that will do it for you.

tt2

Jun 2, 2015 4:38 PM in response to lbyham

I have imported all of my cds using itunes but hate the numbers in front of the file name.

Linda,

For future reference, note that other ripping tools - even Windows Media Player - give you more control over the format of the filename. Just rip and add the resulting MP3s into your iTunes library.

User uploaded file

Jun 2, 2015 4:58 PM in response to lbyham

iTunes is basically a database program. You should not be mucking around inside the iTunes Library. If you do, you're just likely to break the database and iTunes will loose track of where the files are stored and you'll end up with a lot of exclamation marks. Let iTunes take care of the file management. That's what computers are really good and efficient at. You should only be accessing the Library via the iTunes interface. The song names there do not include the track number, so why do you even care?

Depending on which version of iTunes you're using, go to iTunes Settings/Preferences > Advanced menu > and uncheck the "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" checkbox. But there's really no benefit to doing this, and as turingtest2 already pointed out, you're likely to loose functionality in other apps.

delete track numbers from music files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.