Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove all partitions from USB?

Hi folks,

Need a little help here please. I have a USB that's somehow formatted in 2 partitions and no matter what I do whether on the Mac or Windows machines I can not return this 2 gig USB back to it original state of being just a single partition.

Can someone advise me please?

User uploaded file

iMac, iOS 8.1.3, 27" iMac 5k Retina 2014

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 10:58 AM

6 replies

Jun 2, 2015 11:11 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi, and thanks for the reply..

I tried to erase the partitions in Disk Utility but that only erased the space used by the two partitions individually keeping them both intact.

I tried BootIce in Windows and that just did the same thing as DU.

It seems that just the partitions data are being wiped and not the partitions themselves. It could be what I am seeing is 2 Volumes?

I have no idea how to return the USB to a single volume.

When I try to erase that 1.6mg volume I get this error..

User uploaded file

Jun 2, 2015 11:45 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you but I already tried that. Did not work.. the - (minus symbol) is greyed out and inactive. As I said before I think these are volumes and not partitions. This is 2 volumes with a single partition on each. That article is only useful if multiple partitions were on a single volume.

Does anyone know how to restore a USB with 2 volumes back to it's original One?

User uploaded file

How to remove all partitions from USB?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.