Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5s won't charge properly, help!

Last week I started to notice issues with my Iphone 5s (over a year and a half old) which has been going on for a long time. It started for a few weeks, when the phone was on charge and if I used it the battery percentage wouldn't always increase, then it started to decrease when I was using it, even though it was on charge. Then it got to the point where if it was on charge (the phone would recognise it was on charge with the symbol) the battery percentage wouldn't increase, it would just take a longer time to decrease. Then last week it got to the point where I would have to wait till it was full out of charge before charging it back. I went to an apple store today and they cleaned the charging port from lint and in the store it got to around 5% battery. Now I got home and put it on charge it slowly rose to 5% before stop charging, so I unplugged it and re-plugged it. It got to 13% and now it's just slowly decreased down to 10%. I have two different chargers, so I'm pretty confident it isn't a charger problem. I am also pretty sure there's no more lint as I have continued to try and remove as much as possible.Like I said, the phone recognises the charger as it vibrates when plugged in and the symbol shows, just the batteries dying. Please can someone help me, I'm starting to go mad by not having a phone anymore!

P.s. I have also tried to restart it when it's on charge by holding down the home and power button, doesn't help.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 11:04 AM

1 reply

Jul 23, 2016 1:24 AM in response to EmNTU

I have a similar issue but with my i4. It actaully began giving me problems a few weeks prior when I couldn't let the battery % drop below 30 because when i tried charging it below that % it just never charged (even though it displayed the charging symbol) and as soon as i disconnected it, it just went off and if i tried to turn it on it kept restarting over and over again. Sometimes if i ditched the adapter and charged it with the laptop instead it worked. slowly even that stopped working and I had to leave the phone alone for at least 24 hours following which it came on without having to press the lock button; like even if I so much as touched the home button or something. Today, nothing will work the phone won't even restart or anything it's just stayed at 6% since hours (again the charging symbol comes on but no actual increase in percentage). I've reset my phone, erased all content, even cleaned out the lint or whatever, but there wasnt much so i dont believe that was the problem.

I'm confused because i have two different usb cables. which work perfectly with my other apple devices. Is it the battery? Defective parts around the battery?

Iphone 5s won't charge properly, help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.