Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

music won't ploy via Verizon data

My iPhone is set to use cellular data to play my Match music (but using WiFi as first choice!) Yesterday my cable connection dropped off for a few hours and I could not get any music with my phone. I have also had music fail when in my car out of wi-fi range. Is this a Verizon thing? or is it a failure of my phone setting? I am using the lasted iOS.

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 1:17 PM

2 replies

Jun 2, 2015 2:23 PM in response to artdoc

artdoc wrote:

My iPhone is set to use cellular data to play my Match music (but using WiFi as first choice!) Yesterday my cable connection dropped off for a few hours and I could not get any music with my phone. I have also had music fail when in my car out of wi-fi range. Is this a Verizon thing? or is it a failure of my phone setting? I am using the lasted iOS.

No, it's not a Verizon thing. I stream about 15-20 gigs worth of music a month on Verizon. I do live in a city where Verizon has very good coverage.

I don't have any great ideas about what your problem is. Start with the basics: restart, reset, reset network settings, restore from backup, restore as new.

Best of luck.

Aug 16, 2015 6:27 AM in response to artdoc

I've noticed this, too (I'm also on Verizon; the bf is on ATT and doesn't seem to experience this issue...)

I think that it has something to do with uploaded tracks vs. matched tracks and how the software handles retrieving the data. What I think is happening is that your data connection can get caught up trying to contact Apple servers to download/stream "uploaded" (non-matched) tracks: when a track doesn't immediately begin playing, if you've noticed, the software generally skips ahead to a song that WILL stream. I have found that after a while, music stops loading altogether and that I have to force-restart the phone (home+lock button). When it boots back up, I get notifications that "xyz song + x number of others" were not able to be downloaded.

Just an idea - I have no technical knowledge of how Apple has actually coded the service. I don't think it relates entirely to signal strength, though, because often times I find my phone streaming reliably on 1x data, but when I have 3-4 bars of LTE the streaming stutters.

Hopefully the 8.4.1 update helps with this problem

music won't ploy via Verizon data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.