Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 10.7 can't see iPhone 5

Environment:

iTunes 10.7.0.21, Apple Application Support 2.2.2, Apple Mobile Device Support 2.1.3.127

Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1, 64-bit

iOS 8.3 (12F70)

Hey all -

I just downgraded to iTunes 10.7, because there are features missing from the current version and nothing I'll miss by going backwards. From what I've read, I can't go further back than 10.7 with an iPhone 5, so I pulled the installer from Apple - Support - Downloads. I uninstalled the existing versions of Apple Application Support, Apple Mobile Device Support, and iTunes, and then installed the 10.7 version.

However, it doesn't see my phone when I plug it in, using the same cable that iTunes 12 has no problems seeing the phone with.

Should iTunes 10.7.0.21 be able to see an iPhone 5 running iOS 8.3?

If so, does anyone have suggestions of how I can get this to happen?

If not, what's the oldest version of iTunes that should be able to see my phone?

Troubleshooting so far:

Restarted phone, no help.

Restarted computer, no help.

Tried an alternate cable - no help.

Confirmed that I can see the phone in Windows Explorer as a drive, and browse the photos.

Confirmed that I have all mandatory Windows updates installed.

Thanks for your time.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 12:11 PM

6 replies

Jun 2, 2015 12:27 PM in response to Rysz

One of the biggest problems is the inability to drag songs from my library and drop them on the phone.

Since my very first iPhone, a 3G, I have manually managed my music, and I do not want to change what's always worked. For example, I have no interest in making playlists first, and then syncing them over. Spending that extra time is of no benefit to me, especially if I am only putting songs in a playlist to make them able to copy to the phone, and not because I specifically want to listen to them as a group.

Jun 2, 2015 1:02 PM in response to taerin

"Manually manage music and videos" preference is still exactly where it used to be in previous versions. Select your iPhone from the tool bar > make sure you're in the Summary view > then look in the Options area.

If you want to use the more familiar Sidebar view, select Music as a media kind from the tool bar > select the Playlists tab > then Songs from the filter drop down menu on the right (all are in the same tool bar).

I know that old habits die hard, but if you're not using iTunes for its ability to automatically file and organize tracks, Playlist (and especially Smart Playlists), and its ability to painlessly sync to iDevices, then you're not utilizing 95% of what it does. In that case, no wonder it has little value to you. Just saying, but to each its own...

Jun 2, 2015 2:57 PM in response to Rysz

Neither UI configuration or finding the option to manually manage are the problem, I already had both of them set correctly. It's the action of dragging something from my library to my phone that fails in the current version.

I'm using iTunes because I have no other choice with iDevices, not because I like and use most of the stuff it does. Right now, I want to put files on my phone, and take them off my phone. This should be doable in Windows Explorer, because the phone contains a hard drive that can be written to by Windows. But I'm forced into iTunes instead, and now I can't even perform the simple task that I've been doing in iTunes for years.

Making a playlist just to use a feature that didn't require one in previous versions is a waste of my time, no matter how many features of iTunes I use, or how many other people find features useful that I don't. So I want to install whatever version can see my phone, and doesn't require playlists just to put music on it. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any documentation that clearly states which version of iTunes is the first to support a device running iOS 8+.

Also, I didn't manually delete any files, I uninstalled applications (via the usual control panel option) before installing new versions of the same ones. I'm not getting any errors popping up on screen or being logged in Event Viewer, and I'm tapping Trust whenever it asks, so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Has anyone else run into this?

iTunes 10.7 can't see iPhone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.