Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transitions not working in fcpx 10.2.1?

So many of the plug in packages are not working with this build? FXfactory, Industrial revoulution. I have archived projects that need reedits and half of the transitions are now not working. On the primary story line some do, but it's impossible to put a multi layered frame all on the primary. Suggestions?

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 11:43 AM

11 replies

Jun 2, 2015 3:39 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I believe I am working with the latest version of FXFactory. What I mean is that I am layering video parts with an alpha channel ton top of the primary magnetic timeline footage. Like most timelines, it's not a flat single source to single source cut. I used a transition in the last iteration of FCPX from Industrial Revolution Volumetrix plug in called "warm glow". So the secondary video is supposed to glow wipe on top of the video in the magnetic timeline. I have contacted vendors, and they are saying that it's a problem on Apple's side because it is nearly universal with all plugin transitions. Because I switched to 10.2.1, I now have video which isn't consistent with what was previously mastered. I have to check every transition to see if it works, and compare it to saved master. Beside the fact that I paid for licenses that no longer work, it is killing my ability to deliver revisions to existing videos for my clients. Luca's Light Kit, Industrial, Fxfactory,all of them aren't working.

Jun 2, 2015 4:24 PM in response to kdiddy1

Unfortunately the way it works is the host writes the API, and the plugins have to conform to it. The new API was rewritten to work with and allow the new capabilities of XML 1.5. It has certainly effected many plugins, both FxFactory's and others, but they all have to be rewritten. Many manufacturers like FxFactory itself and CoreMelt and others have done this already. Some have used this as an opportunity for a paid upgrade, but that's the way the plugin business works.

It's always a good idea to keep a backup version of software and of your library to fall back on when this kind of thing happens, which it pretty much always does when there's a major upgrade.

Jun 2, 2015 4:59 PM in response to kdiddy1

FxFactory is a store that controls the sale, installation, and organization of plugins. They are not FxFactory's plugins. They don't write any code for the plugins. They rewrote the store so that the plugins that use their facility can be installed correctly and can conform to the the new FCP API. Other providers have to do the same; Factory can't do it for them. Factory and other plugins like CoreMelt had updates immediately after the release of the new version almost two months ago. The individual manufacturers have to update. Many have done it. Some are much more difficult than others; I imagine volumetric lighting is very difficult, but only idustrial can fix that. Neat and a number of others had the same problem with secondaries. Neat fixed it. idustrial will have to do the same. It's a lot of work, and they may have to charge for the upgrade.

Jun 3, 2015 4:31 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom, with all due respect, pretty sure what you're telling me is not entirely true. FxFactory (the portal) is a product created by Noise Industries. FxFactory Pro is a $399 package of plugins found at FXFactory and they were produced by... Noise Industries!

http://fxfactory.com/downloads/docs/noiseindustries/fxfactorypro/Documentation/

I understand that in theory FXFactory is merely a go between installer for third party developers, but what I am telling you is that Noise Industries OWN plugins, the package found above and the first product listed in Fxfactory, do not function properly in 10.2.1 ! They may have updated the portal, but they didn't update their own set of plugins. So FXfactory right now is a portal that "correctly installs" a whole bunch of plugins that do not function, and included on that list is Noise Industries own plug ins. I understand that third party developers are responsible for their own updates, but ultimately it is making FCPX a less useful tool. When it's a problem for this many 3rd party contributors, Apple should take a look at their code and fix! When somebody wants taller ceilings in a basement, only a dumb contractor would suggest raising the whole house half a foot. Dig deeper and fix the foundation.

Jun 3, 2015 5:45 AM in response to kdiddy1

I have repeatedly asked you for specifics. The only specific you have given was the idustrial plugin. Are you now saying that none of the Noise Industry plugins work because I'm not seeing that.

Silly construction analogy. I don't want a deeper basement. I want a taller house. That's the point of raising the ceiling. Your contractor's solution isn't acceptable.

Jun 3, 2015 11:15 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

"FxFactory is a store that controls the sale, installation, and organization of plugins. They are not FxFactory's plugins. They don't write any code for the plugins."

This is your statement. And it's just not true, Tom. THE FX FACTORY PRO Plugin package which I specifically gave you a link to is code written by FXFACTORY, hence the name. Noise Industries did indeed "write the code" for those plugins. And if you take any of those transitions, specifically ALL of them, they don't work anywhere except on the primary magnetic timeline. But since you're having such a tough time understanding and are a stickler for specifics, here's a video demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_tikm9mx8E

On primary timeline,The FXfactory Pro transition works. On secondary timeline, same clips, same transition, they do not. It's like it's not even there.

The same problem is happening with ALL, specifically ALL, of the transitions offered by Industrial Revolution. It is also happening for all, specifically ALL, of the Nattress transitions and all, specifically ALL of the Luca Light transitions. Not effects, just transitions. I will not speak for any of the other ones on the FXfactory portal, but I can say with confidence that currently the above listed do not work on a secondary timeline.

When a problem is this consistent and this widespread, rather than make every third party developer figure out the same issue, maybe Apple should look at it and say, hmm, maybe our new code is not playing nice with many of the contributors who add value to our program.

If you have a real answer, other than basic stuff like, "I hoped you backed up the old version", or "you should contact the third party", or more half wrong misinformation, I'd love to hear it. Or maybe you can find somebody who actually knows what they're talking about, that's cool too.

Jun 3, 2015 11:57 AM in response to kdiddy1

UPDATE FROM FXFACTORY-

We are very sorry for the trouble. A fix is in the works by Apple.

Final Cut Pro 10.2 shipped with a problem whereby many effects and transitions do not animate correctly when used on secondary storylines.

Apple has been notified of this issue within hours of the release of Final Cut Pro 10.2. We hope it will be fixed soon. Unfortunately Apple does not discuss their release plans publicly, so we do not know when the issue will be solved in their code.

One workaround that seems to work is creating a compound clip and/or moving things to the primary storyline.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance, if indeed this was helpful, or if this raises any other questions.

Regards,

Niclas
FxFactory

transitions not working in fcpx 10.2.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.