Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete iPhoto Events From Photos?

When I moved from iPhoto to Photos, I saw that there is a folder in the Sidebar called "iPhoto Events". I never made use of Events in iPhoto. Can I delete this folder, or will that delete all the photos that were parts of iPhoto's Events?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 12:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 1:16 PM

Photos does not have events, there are now moments instead. When Photos migrated the iPhoto Library, it created an album for each iPhoto event to replace it. You can simply delete the folder "iPhoto events" and all albums inside. When you delete an album, the photos will stay in your Photos library.

See: How Photos handles content and metadata from iPhoto and Aperture - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2015 1:16 PM in response to ldamario

Photos does not have events, there are now moments instead. When Photos migrated the iPhoto Library, it created an album for each iPhoto event to replace it. You can simply delete the folder "iPhoto events" and all albums inside. When you delete an album, the photos will stay in your Photos library.

See: How Photos handles content and metadata from iPhoto and Aperture - Apple Support

Jun 11, 2015 8:52 AM in response to ldamario

I have updated to Yiosemite. My iphoto still lists Photo events. The folder contains Moments, (sorteed by date). I spent a lot of time deleting Photos to find that they are still in my All Photos file. Even if I delete them in the all Photos file they reappear, I tried to delete the I Photo Events folder. Can't find the trash anywhere... Command Delete doesn't work and neither does Command Option Delete. Very frustrating. Wish I'd never installed Yosemite. Same with upgrading my IPad. Lost a lot of albums, doesn't sync all my photos. Have had Macs since forever, but have never been so frustrated>

Jun 11, 2015 8:59 AM in response to pattc

To delete photos from the library select them and press command-delete.

Then go to the "File" menu and use the command "Show Recently Deleted. In the "Recently deleted" album press the button "Delete all". There is no longer Trash in Photos. They deleted photos will stay in the "Recently Deleted Album" for one month or until you delete them from the album.

Jun 11, 2015 1:53 PM in response to pattc

Now how do I delete the moments. Or folders that are inside the events...?

You cannot delete the Moments. The Moments are created automatically from the photos in your Photos library. The moments will vanish, when you delete the photos in the moments.

To delete a folder, select it in the Sidebar, ctrl-click it, then select "Delete folder" from the menu that will pop up:

User uploaded file

Delete iPhoto Events From Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.