Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What version Airport Utility works with Mavericks & Airport Express V1?

I use an Airport Extreme 802.11ac for routing & Wi-Fi that works well for me. I want to add my older Airport Express to use as an Airplay audio output into a stereo system.

I have 2 Macs that are running Mavericks 10.9.5, which comes with Airport Utility 6.3.2. That program shows & configures my Airport Extreme 802.11ac just fine. It reports that it (Airport Utility) does not work with my old Airport Express v1. What program runs on Mavericks and will configure this older Airport? I have tried several versions of the airport utility and all are unacceptable for various reasons. HELP PLEASE!!

Airport Express

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 1:03 PM

2 replies

Jun 2, 2015 1:21 PM in response to ssj152.

Please check to locate the model number of the AirPort Express on the side of the device. It starts with an "A" followed by four numbers.

If you see A1084 or A1088.....Apple dropped support of these older devices when they introduced the Lion operating system about 3 years ago.

Your only options with the older AirPort Express models are as follows:

Use....or borrow for 15 minutes.....a Mac running the Leopard (10.5.x) or Snow Leopard (10.6.x) operating system to administer the older AirPort.

Use....or borrow for 15 minutes....a PC that has AirPort Utility installed on the device.

Risk downloading and installing software from the Internet from an "unknown" author.....offering no support in the event of problems......that will require you to change....and significantly weaken.....some of the default security settings on your Mac running Mavericks.

What version Airport Utility works with Mavericks & Airport Express V1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.