Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VMware vSphere OS X Licensing for a Mac Pro

I have a question about virtualizing OS X on VMware vSphere ESXi running on a Mac Pro. We want to built a test lab for setup and testing of our images for new Mac deployment and software installs. This would include 2 client installs of OS X and one OS X server install. I have included a snippet from the license agreement in OS X. It does not directly seem to allow what we are wanting to do. Is there a way to license OS X in a manner that will allow what we want to achieve?

B. Mac App Store License. If you obtained a license for the Apple Software from the Mac App Store, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License and as permitted by the Mac App Store Usage Rules set forth in the App Store Terms and Conditions (http://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/ itunes/ww/) (“Usage Rules”), you are granted a limited, non-transferable, non-exclusive license: to download, install, use and run for personal, non-commercial use, one (1) copy of the Apple Software directly on each Apple-branded computer running OS X Mavericks, OS X Mountain Lion, OS X Lion or OS X Snow Leopard (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control; (ii) If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, to download, install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software for use either: (a) by a single individual on each of the Mac Computer(s) that you own or control, or (b) by multiple individuals on a single shared Mac Computer that you own or control. For example, a single employee may use the Apple Software on both the employee’s desktop Mac Computer and laptop Mac Computer, or multiple students may serially use the Apple Software on a single Mac Computer located at a resource center or library; and (iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software, for purposes of: (a) software development; (b) testing during software development; (c) using OS X Server; or (d) personal, non-commercial use. The grant set forth in Section 2B(iii) above does not permit you to use the virtualized copies or instances of the Apple Software in connection with service bureau, time-sharing, terminal sharing or other similar types of services.

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 3:22 PM

4 replies

Jun 2, 2015 3:45 PM in response to Kappy

My apologies if the question was not suited for Apple support communities. I will redirect it to legal. I found articles from other describing licensing for VMware and I assumed they were coming from more than the few lines in the license. I was hoping to someone could point to a white paper that better described licensing in virtual environments. I think many people are doing this and I assumed there was a clear outline somewhere on Apple's site. Thank you for your time.

Jun 18, 2015 1:57 PM in response to ShawTechLink

From what I understood from Apple's licensing is that you can run OS X in a virtual environment, permitted that the physical machine is an Apple-logo device. I believe Apple even published a how-to or at least mentioned it with a screenshot at one point.

I did contact Apple on this, partially joking but with a serious inquiry, that if I was to put the Apple Logo sticker supplied by Apple on certain products you purchased, if this would be deemed an Apple-logo device as per your license terms. I have yet to receive a response.

Jun 19, 2015 2:26 AM in response to mhadjar

mhadjar wrote:

From what I understood from Apple's licensing is that you can run OS X in a virtual environment, permitted that the physical machine is an Apple-logo device. I believe Apple even published a how-to or at least mentioned it with a screenshot at one point.

I did contact Apple on this, partially joking but with a serious inquiry, that if I was to put the Apple Logo sticker supplied by Apple on certain products you purchased, if this would be deemed an Apple-logo device as per your license terms. I have yet to receive a response.

Lawyers are not renowned for having a sense of humour. 😉

I and I believe most people would interpret Apple's license terms to say that you can do the following.

1. Run OS X natively on a Mac and also at the same time run two virtual copies on the same Mac using e.g. VMware Fusion or Parallels.
  2. Run ESXi on a Mac and via ESXi run two virtual copies of OS X on that Mac.

It would be my interpretation that running three copies of OS X via ESXi would not be allowed even though you are in the case of ESXi not running a native copy of OS X.

VMware vSphere OS X Licensing for a Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.