Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bought used computer and owner claims they never had a user ID or password.

I bought a used computer and need a USER ID and password resets. Old owner claims they never used one but I can't link my accounts otherwise or log in. HELP

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 3:23 PM

7 replies

Jun 2, 2015 4:03 PM in response to Norqualj

OK, please do an erase and then install of OS X, this will give you fresh copy of OS X and can customize the computer to your liking. To do this boot into the Recovery Partition (Command + R) and use Disk Utility to erase the drive. Once you have done that do a fresh install of OS X. If you don't know how then you may want to make and appointment at an Apple Store and have a chat with a Genius, they can easily show you how to do both actions.

If the computer was sold claiming you were getting free software, then you basically got ripped off. The licenses ONLY belong to the original buyer. The only free application software you are entitled to are the apps that come pre-installed by Apple with the sale of any new iMac.

Finally while I know it's too late now, Apple sells refurbished Macs on their on-line store. This is a much better deal than what you got because the computer are virtually identical to new, come with the same warranty as new and are eligible for AppleCare extended warranty. They also can save you hundreds of dollars! In the USA online store the link is:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals

Jun 3, 2015 7:26 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you for the helpful info. Once I delete old Osx- To reinstall would i do that thru the app store? if so would i already have had a chase to sign in comp w my apple id which will be required?

how much do you think OSX runs? I saw the Lion was 19.99- does that sound right?

I paid $1350 for this comp- its a year old and seems good. As long as i can get squared away.

DOCKS BY JEN

norqualj@aol.com

Jun 3, 2015 7:42 AM in response to Norqualj

Turn on the computer and immediately hold down both the Command key and the R key. This instructs the computer to startup from the Recovery Partition.

• Once you see the Apple logo appear in the middle of the screen you can release the Command and R keys.User uploaded file
  • Give your Mac a couple of minutes to startup, at which point you’ll see a window like the one this one.
  • Click on the Disk Utility option from the “Mac OS X Utilities” window.
  • In the left pane of the Disk Utility window, click on Macintosh HD (which is your laptop’s internal hard drive).
  • In the right pane of the Disk Utility window, click the Erase tab.
  • Click the Security Options button.
  • I recommend that you select the 7-Pass Erase options. I think you might just see a slider, in which case you slide it to the right side labeled “Most Secure.”
  • Click the OK button.
  • Click the Erase button.
  • You’ll be asked if you’re sure you want to erase it. You’re sure. Go ahead and click the Erase button.

After the disk is erased, exit Disk Utility and then select Reinstall OS X and follow the on-screen directions.

Jun 4, 2015 10:13 AM in response to Norqualj

Norqualj wrote:

I hope I selected correct to erase. It gave met top option which was 1TB APPLE HDD WD10E...

I did 7 pass secure and it's in the process. Says 10 hours est time?!

Sent from my iPhone

It would have been fine to not choose 7 pass secure, this would have made the process take less than a minute. The security passes are done primarily for extremely high security. Guess you will just have to wait it out. My apologies, I should have explained that better.

Bought used computer and owner claims they never had a user ID or password.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.