Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Can I Install OS X Cheetah on my iBook G4?

Hello. I would like to install OS X Cheetah on my iBook G4. I downloaded the version for a PowerMac G4 1.1. An iBook G4 has a PowerPC G4 1.5 processor, for those who don't know much about this. I unachived the file and opened the DMG file and then used Disk Utility to restore a blank CD from the DMG file. I tried to boot from the CD, but when I turned my iBook on, the screen flashed gray, turned off, came back on (in a gray color) and then I saw a old-looking folder icon. A ? blinked inside it once or twice and then a Mac OS 9 Finder icon came up in the folder and my computer booted from my regular hard drive. I've also tried connecting it to my MacBook Pro and partitioning the drive, with a partition containing every file from the my Cheetah install disc. But when I boot from that partition, I got the same screen as the disc showed.

Is there another method of doing this that will work? Remember, I can connect my iBook to my MacBook Pro using a FireWire cable and make partitions, edit the disk, etc. Please tell me how to do this. I really want OS X Cheetah (I know it's outdated, give me no warnings about that, please).

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G4

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 4:42 PM

6 replies

Jun 2, 2015 11:47 PM in response to HFTaylor12

The easiest way to have a computer that could run the early OS X 10.0, would be to buy one.

•Introduced May 2001

Discontinued October 2001

Model Identifier PowerBook4,1

Model Number --

Order Number M7698LL/A (CD-ROM), M7692LL/A (DVD), M8520LL/A (Combo)

Initial Price $1299 (CD) $1499 (DVD) $1599 (CD-RW) $1799 (Combo)

•Original OS Mac OS 9.1

Later OS Mac OS 9.1 and Mac OS X (4P13)

Maximum OS Mac OS X 10.4.11

Hardware Test AHT (iBook) 1.2, 1.2.1, 1.2.2, 1.2.3, 1.2.4

•Bundled Software Mac OS 9.1, Mac OS X, QuickTime, iMovie 2, iTunes, AppleWorks, Microsoft

Internet Explorer, Microsoft Outlook Express, Netscape Communicator, Palm Desktop, FAXstf,

Cro-Mag Rally, Bugdom, Nanosaur, and Acrobat Reader software; Apple Hardware Test CD.

An iBook G3 (Dual USB) white polycarbonate model that looks like the later iBook G4, is

about the only model that can run OS X 10.0 Cheetah, and since the early White G3 is a

dual-boot model, these have the ability to also start the computer from original Mac OS9.1.

The included CD installers would do that.

There is no practical or possible way to be able to run a system that pre-dates the hardware

you'd hope to run it on, by so many years, & with other technical faults in the idea of doing so.

I've owned the first model iBook G3 500MHz 12" (Dual USB) also the last model iBook G4 1.33GHz 12"

and found some good characteristic of each end of that mult-facted series. Also have a PowerBook G4

12" 1.5GHz aluminum - needs logic board fixed & DC-in board; & have first-model MacBook 13" coreduo.

Other old model G3 Macintosh computers of correct build era specs, may be able to run Cheetah 10.0

but there isn't any practical software and almost no connectivity to anything, except an equally old Mac

that uses hard to get vintage/obsolete cables and ancient software. Mostly offline or local network.

For older systems, the Tiger 10.4.11 was probably the best, in the supported PPC hardware of the day;

and for later best systems, Snow Leopard 10.6.8 was best in Intel-based hardware, for several reasons.

However it is best to locate the correct hardware version computer for any of the operating systems that

could run in them, usually best if you find the computer which includes the correct vintage Mac OS discs.

Your other question, in a different topic thread, suggests you need to understand more about Mac OS &

also the more recent versions & changes across operating systems, hardware change, to modern specs.

There is a fair aggregate or compilation of information across many years of models with corresponding

operating systems, versions that work within the specified hardware of their era, in such sources online

as http://everymac.com and http://lowendmac.com plus depending on your newest Mac/PC, you may be

be able to get and use the download of offline database specifications from http://mactracker.ca.

In any event... to expand your point of reference and knowledge base to get the best use of vintage Macs.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

How Can I Install OS X Cheetah on my iBook G4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.