Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid 2015 Macbook Pro AMD fan issues

My new MBP (mid 2015 with AMD GPU) turns the fan up the moment I plug in an external monitor via HDMI or thunderbolt/RGB. Its loud enough to annoy me (it sounds like a vacuum cleaner). I dont see why it should do this. Anyone with the same issues?

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 3:15 PM

20 replies

Jun 4, 2015 3:20 AM in response to jmstoh

I have the same issue like you. bought my one on the 30th may.

I installed gfxCardStatus to check which card the mbp is using. when you plug an external monitor it always switches to the discrete one. I checked as well the fan speed and you could see that an external monitor is attached the fan speed goes up. With gfxCardStatus I tested then discrete one turned on and no screen attached. No issues. Fan speed low and not getting loud.

I had an appointment at the genius bar. we connected as well an external monitor and he confirmed the issue that the fan speed is getting up and it's more loud. in my case it goes max. to 4200 rpm. average is around 3400 rpm. He said he can't do anything. only take it back and try with the mbp internal graphics only.

perhaps it's a software issue from yosemite (I think thats the problem). so either you hope apple releases an software update or it will stay like that. in my view, it could be solved easy. yosemite should use the internal one as well when a screen is attached and only if demand really gets high turn the discrete one on.

because in our offices we have a mbp from the last generation with the iris only and an external monitor (4k screen) is connected, the fan speed is ok and not too getting loud (around 2200 rpm). and cpu and graphics card are the same like this years model.

it's clear if you do gaming and so on that the fan will get loud. but if you just connect an external monitor the mbp just should use the internal card and not turn the discrete one. i'm thinking to give it back and get one with an integrated only. because the iris pro should easy handle an external monitor.

let's see what happens in the next days. perhaps an update will be released.

Jun 4, 2015 6:16 AM in response to chiyam

Yeah it seems to be an OS problem. I currently do not have my external monitor plugged in, but am downloading Mathlab. Nothing else running except safari. My fans are spinning at 6k which is really loud. For a SGD3k laptop, and considering that Apple only has so many laptops in its product line, thats really weak. I'll probably send it back next week.

Jul 11, 2015 7:06 AM in response to jmstoh

Having the same issue here, compared to my mid-2012 the mid-2015 with AMD GPU gets considerably louder under various conditions, eg. having an ext. display connected or running software which puts low, yet constant load on the GPU (eg. music software like ableton live or traktor).

It usually takes some time for the heat/fans to get there, but after a while the mid-2015 will be constantly spinning at 4k-5k where the mid-2012 would easily stay below 3k (inaudible) at all times, without putting a significant load on anything.

SMC or NVRAM reset did not help in my case, also testing both the mid-2015 2,8 GhZ and 2,5 GhZ with AMD GPU showing the same behavior.

I'm also strongly considering to return it and stick with my mid-2012, as I'm not too confident this will be resolved by a software update anytime soon (if possible at all). Seems like the mid-2015 with AMD is not a good choice atm if your setup demands discrete GPU at all or even most of the time.

Jan 14, 2016 4:58 AM in response to jmstoh

Sorry to drag up an old thread. Did switching to the model without dGPU fix this? I'm having the same issue, bought the laptop last week and when I plug in my external monitors the fan noise is so loud that it causes issues for the internal mic when im on a call. Planning on going back tonight to replace it.

Jan 14, 2016 5:14 AM in response to IWMark

As El Capitan came with massive Core Graphics improvements (updated to use Metal instead of OpenGL under the hood) I simply kept my mid-2012 with GT650M which performs excellent again since updating to 10.11. Did not test it myself, but my reseller reported the current model without dGPU would run considerably cooler/more quiet. But, if it's not urgent it may be even better to wait for this year's mbp series update, which is expected to be major.

Jan 15, 2016 3:59 AM in response to IWMark

Had to wait until this morning to get the exchange as my reseller did not have any techs when I went in last night. Got it replaced with the 15" model that does not have the dGPU, got home and hooked it up to my 2 monitors and silence, been running for the last 45 mins and haven't heard the fans once. Fair play to apple for approving the exchange (well, it was within initial 14 days) and also getting the apple care switched over in no time at all.

Feb 17, 2016 1:02 PM in response to jmstoh

jmstoh wrote:

My new MBP (mid 2015 with AMD GPU) turns the fan up the moment I plug in an external monitor via HDMI or thunderbolt/RGB. Its loud enough to annoy me (it sounds like a vacuum cleaner). I dont see why it should do this. Anyone with the same issues?

I have this same model and issue. I'm running El Capitan 10.11.3 and I've tried a SMC reset. Has anyone managed to get it resolved without swapping for a model that doesn't have a discrete GPU?

Mid 2015 Macbook Pro AMD fan issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.