Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport time capsule extending range with airport express

I'm a wee bit confused on this one. I just bought an airport express to extend the Wifi range of my airport time capsule. the modem is plugged into the Ethernet port and I have set up a wireless network. I've read the manual for the Airport express and it tells me to get Airport Utility up and going (which I did) and follow its instructions. I guess I should try to do this again, but I'm still confused, could someone maybe walk me through the basics if it's not asking too much

this is all a little too new for me... so I'm learning as I go....

thanks for any replies

John B

OS: Yosemite, Airport time capsule, airport express 802.11n.. what else can I say?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 12 cores

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 3:39 PM

1 reply

Jun 2, 2015 3:51 PM in response to Johnb-one

Assuming that the Time Capsule is already set up and working correctly........setting up the Express is very simple and straightforward.

Locate the Express about half way between the Time Capsule and the general area where you need greater wireless range.

Power up the Express and let it run a minute or two.

Click the WiFi icon at the top of the Mac's screen, and look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click on AirPort Express just below that heading

User uploaded file

That will get the setup "wizard" running. It will take a minute to analyze the network, then suggest the correct setup for the Express to "extend" the Time Capsule network, similar to the example below.

User uploaded file

Type in a name that you want to call the AirPort Express......example Express

Click Next

The wizard will set up everything for you. When you see the message of setup complete, click Done

That's it

Airport time capsule extending range with airport express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.