Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Access My iTunes!

When I try to access my iTunes I get the message: "The file 'iTunes Library 2012-12-01.itl' cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes." I've never had this problem before. How do I fix it?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 4:37 PM

3 replies

Jun 4, 2015 1:50 PM in response to alanmichaels

Hello alanmichaels,

How are you trying to access your music? What version of iTunes are you running? If you were able to access your music before, what has changed? Do you have an iTunes library backup or an iTunes backup that you can restore from?

The resource below will provide some general information regarding iTunes library files.

iTunes: How to re-create your iTunes library and playlists - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201561

Regards,

- Judy

Jun 8, 2015 8:04 PM in response to judysings

Thanks for the reply, Judy. I don't know what version my iTunes is, since I can't access it to get that info, but the external backup drive that all my songs are on is about three years old. I recently bought a new Mac to replace my dying one, but the new one had problems. When I brought it (and my external back up drive) back to have it looked at, I believe they updated the iTunes, as well as some other stuff. Long story short, the new Mac didn't work so I returned it & kept the old one. Is there a way to reinstall an earlier version of iTunes, or do you think it's some other problem? Thanks.

Jun 10, 2015 11:43 AM in response to alanmichaels

Hi Allen,

Due to the nature of your issue or question you may find more information by using another one of Apple's support resources - https://getsupport.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.action

One of our technical advisors can help you restore from a Time Machine backup if you have one (the best scenario), or troubleshoot your existing library to determine why it won't play with iTunes 12.

- Judy

Can't Access My iTunes!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.