Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get external 5k monitor to work on a Retina iMac?

I am looking for advice getting an external 5k monitor to work on the 2014 retina iMac. I am using the HP 27" 5k monitor two mindisplayport cables and following everything correctly using the directions on the iClarified site, which explains that the method should work for the HP monitor.

I am running the latest OS version (10.10.3). All I can get is the monitor either running in 4k mode or 2560x1400, which is nice but not the beautiful 5k of the main monitor.

Thanks for your help!

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 3:31 PM

5 replies

Jun 4, 2015 5:04 AM in response to SeaPapp

Thanks for posting that, but this page (Using 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac - Apple Support), which was updated much more recently, suggests that the iMac works with the Dell 5k monitor.

Dual-Cable Displays

Some displays with resolutions higher than 4K require two DisplayPort cables to connect the display at full resolution. With OS X Yosemite v10.10.3 or later, the Dell UP2715K 27-inch 5K display is supported on the following Mac computers:

• Mac Pro (Late 2013)
  • iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014 and later)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) with AMD Radeon R9 M370X

How to get external 5k monitor to work on a Retina iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.