Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP + AppleTV = Spinning Beachball of Death

Every time I try to connect my MacBook Pro to my Apple TV over my home wifi connection, I get the spinning beach ball of death, it never connects and comes back with "Could not connect to “Living Room Apple TV”

When I try to connect via Bluetooth, my laptop tries to connect and provides a code, but the AppleTV just searches and searches and never gets there.

I used to have no problem connecting over wifi, and I have confirmed that both devices are online with a strong connection.

I have done all of the troubleshooting, including:

Updating and restarting my machine

Updating and restarting AppleTV

Testing wifi signal strength and connection

No restrictions or security on Apple TV

I even tested it on a second Apple TV and had the exact same issue.

My MacBook Pro is up to date: 10.10.3

My AppleTV: 7.2 (7512)

Wifi is via 2TB AirPort Time Capsule

Please, can anyone help me?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2015 1:30 PM

Hey LindsayDayton,

Thanks for the question. If I understand correctly, you are trying to use AirPlay or Home Sharing. It looks like you have already done some troubleshooting. The Mac is not able to connect to a second Apple TV either. Was the second Apple TV on the same WiFi network?

I would recommend that you read these articles, they may be helpful in troubleshooting your issue.

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections - Apple Support

Troubleshooting Home Sharing - Apple Support

If you have a firewall enabled in your router or computer, make sure that the firewall is not blocking communication between your computers. Home Sharing uses TCP port 3689 and UDP port 5353 to communicate with shared iTunes libraries.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a good one,

Mario

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2015 1:30 PM in response to LindsayDayton

Hey LindsayDayton,

Thanks for the question. If I understand correctly, you are trying to use AirPlay or Home Sharing. It looks like you have already done some troubleshooting. The Mac is not able to connect to a second Apple TV either. Was the second Apple TV on the same WiFi network?

I would recommend that you read these articles, they may be helpful in troubleshooting your issue.

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections - Apple Support

Troubleshooting Home Sharing - Apple Support

If you have a firewall enabled in your router or computer, make sure that the firewall is not blocking communication between your computers. Home Sharing uses TCP port 3689 and UDP port 5353 to communicate with shared iTunes libraries.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a good one,

Mario

MBP + AppleTV = Spinning Beachball of Death

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.