Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partitioning

I am wanting to buy the new 27-inch iMac, but I run programs that need to run on my older computer that runs Tiger.

Can I partition my Hard Drive to use both Yosemite and Tiger?

Thank you.

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 4:10 PM

Not on that Mac model; a Mac can’t boot a Mac OS X version older than the one it came with.

(128223)

8 replies

Jun 2, 2015 4:18 PM in response to Terwort

Neil is correct, however you can purchase Parallels or Fusion, both will allow you to install an earlier version of OS X and run your apps. That way you can run both the current version of OS X and your legacy Tiger version. You will need a Tiger install DVD (possibly the upgrade DVD which is still available on e-bay) and of course Parallels or Fusion.

BTW, there is no point doing further research this is only method to install legacy versions of OS X. Your question is frequently asked.

Jun 2, 2015 4:47 PM in response to Niel

Niel wrote:

Neither Parallels nor VMware Fusion support running any version of Tiger in emulation; the earliest Mac OS X version they do is Leopard.

(128225)

Thank you I wasn't aware of that. The op could still use the solution though. Chances are good his legacy apps would also run in Snow Leopard which Apple still sells.

If I were the OP I would look into that solution as well as researching what it will take to upgrade his apps to current versions or replacing them.

Dec 2, 2015 3:50 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

Wow - I'm genuinely surprised to hear that I can't partition the drive of my new 27 inch iMac and install another, older, OS.

I have an old MacBookPro which have the drive split into two - Snow leopard and OS9. I have loads of old apps which I use

weekly.

So is this all really true???

A drive is a drive is a drive right?

Can't I section off a few gigs of my iMac drive and install anything I like on it?

What's missing from the new hard drive that was present on the old ones to allow it to run OS9 or Leopard (or anything)?

And what about SheepShaver ???

Best wishes

Tony

Partitioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.