Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Airport Express extender will work fine for a couple of days and then go offline with an amber light. If I reboot the unit, it works again for a couple of days.

My Airport Express range extender will work fine for a couple of days and then go offline with an amber light. If I unplug and replug the unit, it works again for a couple of days.

Airport Express-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 6:28 PM

2 replies

Jun 2, 2015 9:43 PM in response to MarkMacG

Sadly this is almost the nature of wireless.. I have a TC and an extreme doing wireless extend.. it is less than 100% stable.. but it is fairly typical wireless..

Tell us the full story.

1. What is the main router?

I assume it is an extreme or TC.. what model? What firmware?

What model is the express?

2. Open the airport utility.. find the express and check the wireless link. You do this by hovering your mouse pointer over the link address. If the signal level is low expect issues.. if the data rate is low.. double issues. Also look at the connection in the summary.. you can see in my screenshot it says good.. but the reality is.. -79dBm for RSSI is very low.

User uploaded file

3. Move the express closer to the main router to get better signal to extend..

You can also start trying to get a bit more out of it by using proper naming.. all names short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric.. see mine.

Force it to connect to a band that works best.. in auto it always connects poorly to 2.4ghz.. by giving the Main Router a different 5ghz name I can force it to extend 5ghz which works hugely better.. YMMV.. this is wireless and voodoo technology.

Jun 3, 2015 8:11 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for your thorough response!

I have two extenders that go in opposite directions and for some reason one of the extenders was getting its signal from the other extender rather than the base station. When I gave the unit a shorter name with no spaces - per your suggestion - the system reconfigured so that both extenders now get their signals directly from the base station.

Anyway, I think that did the trick, so Thanks!

My Airport Express extender will work fine for a couple of days and then go offline with an amber light. If I reboot the unit, it works again for a couple of days.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.