Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible to Unlocked a sprint iPhone 6 (A1586) CDMA to use on an AT&T GSM Network?

I have spoken with Sprint, AT&T and Apple support and technical support. No one can give me a straight up answer. I have researched and researched and I have yet to find someone who has tried this and succeeded or failed. Someone with experience please help.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 3:46 PM

23 replies

Jun 2, 2015 3:56 PM in response to Mbean224

According to Sprint's unlocking policy, the Iphone 6 can be unlocked to be used on domestic carriers. I have a Sprint Iphone 6 and if I look up the imei, it says its an AT&T imei, while the meid says the device is locked to Sprint. As soon as my commitment to Sprint is complete, I plan on getting Sprint to unlock my device and take it to AT&T.

Really, Sprint won't give you a straight answer until you are no longer under contract (or you pay off your phone).

Jun 2, 2015 5:35 PM in response to Mbean224

Mbean224 wrote:

I Do see where it references that. However it is a cdma phone and at&t works on gsm. Sprint won't clarify if they unlock the sim gms for domestic. They say on tech support its only for international

No, it's not a CDMA phone, at least not in the sense it's only CDMA. All current iPhones have both CDMA, GSM and LTE. However, the CDMA is only active in those phones sold specifically carriers that use CDMA. A Sprint iPhone 6 has GSM and LTE. Off the top of my head, I don't recall if it has the same LTE bands as AT&T but it will work on AT&T's network as long as Sprint unlocks it.

Jun 2, 2015 8:11 PM in response to Mbean224

the iphome 6 model that sprint sells has CDMA, GSM and LTE capability

Sprint locks the gsm radios of the iPhone so only they can unlock it for you. Apple can't

Sprint's unlocking policy spells it out pretty clear, once you pay off you device, you tell them you want your iPhone unlocked. You want a Domestic SIM unlock.

Domestic SIM Unlock (DSU)

A domestic SIM unlock allows a device owner to insert another domestic carrier’s SIM card into the device in order to attempt to activate the device on that carrier’s network.

The GSM radios in your iPhone 6 work on the same bands as AT&T's network.

Jun 2, 2015 8:13 PM in response to Skitle1802

Right i completely understand that and i have read their policy. However when talking to tech support for sprint about unlocking it they tell me that their phones are made specifically for CDMA and Do not believe unlocking them will allow them to be used with sprint. I was hoping someone on these forums would have experience with unlocking a Sprint CDMA Iphone 6 and switching to GSM ATT and activating and using a SIM card.

Possible to Unlocked a sprint iPhone 6 (A1586) CDMA to use on an AT&T GSM Network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.