Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

syncing to a different computer

Hi all,

I have an iPhone 5S with iOS 8.3 and a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.9.5 and iTunes 12.1.2.27. I recently loaded a couple of CDs into iTunes to put on my phone. When I went to do that, though, I got this message:

The iPhone xxxxxxx is synced with another iTunes library on “xxxxx Computer (44)”. Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library?

I might have synced the iPhone with my last MacBook Pro in order to put a few ringtones on it. That computer is on its last legs and is sitting out in the garage. I don't want to lose the ringtones, but I really don't want to lose all the apps I've installed directly onto the phone. If I sync with the new computer, will all the apps be deleted from my phone? If so, what do people do when a computer that was synced with their phone dies?

Does anyone know of an approach I can take that will not cause me to lose everything installed on the phone?

Thanks,

Tery

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.3, carrier is Verizon, if that matters

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 7:15 PM

2 replies

Jun 3, 2015 5:36 AM in response to terydeb

Copy/move anything on the old computer that you want to the new computer.

Then sync with the new computer.

Your iPhone can sync with only one iTunes library at a time. Therefore, put

what you want into the library on your new MacBook Pro.

"what do people do when a computer that was synced with their phone dies?"

They restore the information from the backup of the dead computer to the new

computer and then sync with the new computer.

In most locations, past downloads (as long as they are still in the iTunes store)

can be re-downloaded. Apps that have been downloaded directly into the iPhone

should be transferred to your iTunes library - are you not offered that option when

you connect the iPhone to the computer with your iTunes?

How are you currently backing up your iPhone?

Jun 3, 2015 6:16 AM in response to imobl

Thanks.

I currently back the phone up to the cloud.

I haven't connected the phone to a computer in so long that I don't remember what options I get when I connect it. I'll get the old computer out and connect the phone to that. If it syncs so everything is updated on the computer, it sounds like I should then move the iTunes library from that computer to this one, and let the iPhone be erased. Then when it syncs to the computer, the apps should go back on it. They were all downloaded from the iTunes store but I'm hoping to avoid redownloading everything. I'll also have to be careful to only sync the apps and the few audio files that I want on my phone. I keep most music on my iPod, since there's not enough space on my phone.

syncing to a different computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.