Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lab Problem

Hi

I'm trying to setup a lab at home to test domain controllers and virtualization and I basically need a lab network inside my home network. I currently have a comcast modem. Not a modem/router but just a modem and connected to that is my AirPort Extreme. What I want to do is connect another AirPort Extreme to my main router and use it as a lab network. Basically I want the second AirPort Extreme to be on a different subnet. I don't even need the wireless part of it, I've turned it off. Is this possible? I'm trying to follow the Youtube video below but it is not working. Please Help.

http://youtu.be/dIFKmJ4wufc

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 4:56 PM

By default, Apple uses the 10.0.1.2 to 10.0.1.200 range on their routers, so your "main" AirPort Extreme is already using that subnet.....unless you have changed the ranges or the values.

Verify by using AirPort Utility to check the Network Options for the main AirPort Extreme.

User uploaded file

Assuming your "main" AirPort looks like the example above, then you would configure the second AirPort Extreme to use a different subnet......for example.....10.0.5.2 to 10.0.5.200.

User uploaded file

Done. Now the second AirPort Extreme is on a different subnet.

You will have a Double NAT with this type of setup, but you can click to "ignore" the Double NAT notice so the AirPort will display a green light.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2015 4:56 PM in response to Joshua Garrett

By default, Apple uses the 10.0.1.2 to 10.0.1.200 range on their routers, so your "main" AirPort Extreme is already using that subnet.....unless you have changed the ranges or the values.

Verify by using AirPort Utility to check the Network Options for the main AirPort Extreme.

User uploaded file

Assuming your "main" AirPort looks like the example above, then you would configure the second AirPort Extreme to use a different subnet......for example.....10.0.5.2 to 10.0.5.200.

User uploaded file

Done. Now the second AirPort Extreme is on a different subnet.

You will have a Double NAT with this type of setup, but you can click to "ignore" the Double NAT notice so the AirPort will display a green light.

Jun 2, 2015 5:25 PM in response to Joshua Garrett

Would my devices connecting to the 2nd airport be able to get internet?

Sure

Under the internet tab on the second router so I need to set it to static instead of DHCP?

Simpler to just use DHCP. No need to do this unless you want to. You would have to have the "main" AirPort Extreme issue a static IP address to the second AirPort Extreme if you want to go the static route.

Jun 2, 2015 5:32 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob

I just made the changes you suggested and it is working the way it's supposed to I think. I disabled wifi on my macbook and connected to the 2nd router using ethernet. I checked and I am getting an IP on the other subnet and I'm getting internet. Thanks so much for your help. My ultimate objective is to setup a Windows server 2012 domain controller connected to this second router and have that domain controller also handle DHCP and DNS for the devices physically plugged into the second airport extreme. Would that be possible?

Lab Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.