Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 8 Family Sharing from one account to multiple ones?

Hello,

So we have been all sharing and using 1 iTunes account. I want to make my own account but don't want to lose all my apps and music. If we setup family sharing would I be able to create my own account and still have all of my stuff?

The reason I am asking this is because when I did make my own account and add it in my phone I went to back it up on iTunes. iTunes then removed all of my stuff. If I use family sharing I am guessing it won't remove it?

Thanks,

winter4w

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 6:31 PM

3 replies

Jun 3, 2015 12:37 AM in response to winter4w

Was that the computer that you had been syncing the phone to, and it had all of your content (the apps, music etc that were on the phone) in its library (did you do File > Devices > Transfer Purchases) ? If that was the first time that you'd connected the phone to that computer, or it didn't have the relevant content in its library, then syncing will possibly remove that content from the phone.

Jun 3, 2015 10:13 AM in response to King_Penguin

I got a Dell Inspiron N7110. I did do that after recovering everything from my device but I think the iTunes account and the account on the phone have to be the same. My main question is if I make my own account and use family sharing could I still redownload my apps and music for free? Also if I get a iTunes gift card can I redeem it with my account and when I buy something would it take the credits out of that account or would it take it out of the main parent account?

Jun 3, 2015 10:26 AM in response to winter4w

As long as the accounts are authorised on that computer's iTunes (Store > Authorise This Computer menu option), and the content is in its library, then it shouldn't matter which account is currently logged in on the phone. When you sync a phone to a computer for the first time (an iPhone is designed to only be synced to one computer at a time) you are effectively telling it to replace the contents of the phone with the content in that computer's iTunes library (family sharing won't change that) :Syncing to a "New" Computer or replacing a "crashed" Hard Drive.

You can create your own account and use family sharing, and be able to redownload past purchases : Sharing purchased content with Family Sharing - Apple Support

For how purchases are billed in family sharing : http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201079

After you set up your family, any time a family member initiates a new purchase it will be billed directly to your account unless that family member has gift or store credit. First, their store credit will be used to pay the partial or total bill. The remainder will bill to the family organizer's card. As the family organizer, any receipts generated by the transaction will be sent to you.

IOS 8 Family Sharing from one account to multiple ones?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.