Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes keeps deleting all my music on my iPhone

Since about October last year whenever I go to add a new music album to my iPhone 5 (by manually dragging the folder from my hard drive to my phone music collection area in iTunes, as I have ALWAYS done in the past five or so years I have had an iPhone) it deletes all the music on my iPhone (approx. 2000 files) and puts only the new album on my phone. The music that was on the phone is showed as greyed out in iTunes. I can also tell it has been deleted because the storage bar in iTunes drops from 20GB to nothing and the songs are no longer in the Music app of my iPhone. It also deletes all my playlists.

I then have to delete the new album off the phone in iTunes, along with all the now greyed out music that used to work, and then re-add the music in one hit. If I try and do it in batches it just deletes what I have already done. If I add all the music back on to the iPhone and then try and make changes like add album art etc. it also hates that and deletes it all again.

I am using the same laptop I have always used, iTunes is the latest version, and my iOS is the latest version. I have an iPhone 5. I manually sync my music. The music is stored on my laptop's hard drive as mp3 files.

This is driving me nuts! Does anyone have any suggestions/experiencing anything similar? How can I get it so it doesn't delete all my music when I simply want to add another album?

Thank you.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 6:19 PM

2 replies

Jun 4, 2015 1:59 PM in response to festivalfun

Hello festivalfun,

I'm sorry to hear you are having these issues with your iPhone. If you are having issues manually managing the music on your iPhone, you may want to double-check that you are adding content to your iPhone as outlined in the following article:

Manage content manually on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod - Apple Support

Sincerely,

- Brenden

Jun 7, 2015 6:15 PM in response to brenden dv

Thanks Brenden. I'll have a go at dropping the folder on to the 'iPhone' label bit, not in amongst the other music files.

However, I did find a fix by using the + symbol. Although this took me to my iTunes library to add the files from (which I don't use). So I had to go to the iTunes music library, drag the music folders from my hard drive to the iTunes library, THEN use the + symbol on my iPhone music collection bit to then select them in iTunes to add to the phone. Because of all the extra steps this took a bit longer than normal but the new albums did get added without deleting all the existing files. Yay!

iTunes keeps deleting all my music on my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.