Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Piano roll slow

I've been working with Garageband 10.0.3 on Yosemite and have noticed that the software lags substantially when working in the piano roll editor, particularly when transitioning from selecting notes to selecting the region around the notes. The software has become so slow that it's actually unworkable. Are there any tips to improving my performance in the piano roll editor?

I'm working on a MacBook Pro with a 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 and 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory. Is my system simply too slow?

Would I notice any improvement in Logic Pro X?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 8:55 PM

2 replies

Jun 3, 2015 11:05 AM in response to Zendango

Your specs are fine for using GarageBand.

Does that "slowness" happen in every Project. I looks like there might be some other related issues.

• Is it better after you restart your computer.
  • How full is your hard drive
  • Do you have other apps running at the same time
  • When was the last time you repaired your permission

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Jun 3, 2015 7:17 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

Yes, it happens in every Project.

Restarting has no effect.

My hard drive just under half full.

Closing other running apps has no effect.

This doesn't seem like a permissions problem. The software is still functional despite being slow and becomes progressively slower as the Project becomes more bulky.

I did download the rather large supplemental instruments package when I originally downloaded Garageband. Could it be the repetitive need to access instrument specifications that's stressing the system?

Are there any ways to decrease the performance of Garageband to open up some RAM? Or other tips to making it run more streamlined?

Piano roll slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.