Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage & SMS Sending Complications: Help!

Hi community,

I Need Help!

On my phone i don’t want to use iMessage cuz i have unlimited txt SMS, but ever since I got my mac whenever ppl text me their phones send it directly to my computer (which i don’t carry around with me). Is there a way my friends and family's phones can send SMS to my phone and iMessage ONLY to my computer? Because the phones seem to just automatically send messages to my iMessage; which I only use when I'm on the computer.

Any advice? I'd love to hear it...Thanks

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.3, Also a Macbok Pro 13" Retina

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 9:37 PM

2 replies

Jun 2, 2015 10:04 PM in response to mel-mel123

Are you saying these iMessages are only being sent to your computer and NOT your iPhone?

If you just want to choose when to use iMessage you have to choose to either use iMessage or not. If you choose to use iMessage you will have these messages on all your devices (iPhone, iPad, mac). If you choose to turn off iMessages you will only receive text messages to your phone.

Shut off iMessages on both your phone and your mac by going to settings and turning off iMessage then you will have text messages (green in color on iPhones) only on your phone.

If this is a privacy concern just password protect your mac and leave iMessages on...

Jun 3, 2015 6:42 AM in response to PenQuin76

No, so on my iPhone I don't use iMessage because I can just use SMS so I turned iMessage off on my phone.

But since I now have the macbook pro I'm using iMessage, but JUST on my computer. I don't want to use iMessage on my iPhone.

But since the iMessage in in use, a lot of the texts go to my iMessage and I don't see them until I get home from school.

I ask my friends 'did you see my green text?" and they respond saying "no I only got your latest blue one" (which is iMessage of course).

So is there any way the phones can text to my SMS and not my iMessage?

Because my iMessage is my email, so why can't they just text my phone and not my email?

I'm really confused haha

iMessage & SMS Sending Complications: Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.