Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Project Pictures Disappeared!

The pictures that are part of my iPhone Project, do they have to be part of my iPhotos too? Or can I add the images to the project, and then delete them off my iPhoto?

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 10:52 PM

6 replies

Jun 2, 2015 11:10 PM in response to léonie

When I open the iPhoto on my Laptop (MacBook Air), they have a Projects feature, in which I can create photo albums, and then get them printed. So I created a couple of albums, and then deleted the pictures off my photo stream in iPhoto, and saved the pictures on my external hard disk, because I was running out of space. It was working fine, and my albums were visible too. However, sometime recently, i updated to the newer iOS, so the iPhoto was also updated, and now all my albums that i created in the Projects section is empty!!

Jun 2, 2015 11:24 PM in response to dimpy1234

Are the empty albums smart albums?

When you migrate an iPhoto Library to Photos not all smart albums and projects can be migrated correctly. Smart albums referring to projects or events will no longer work. Photos does not have events, and the project can also not be recreated. Photos simulates them as albums. see this page: How Photos handles content and metadata from iPhoto and Aperture - Apple Support

If the albums are smart albums, try to recreate them.

Are the photos still there, when you look for them in the "AllPhotos" album?

Jun 3, 2015 12:30 AM in response to dimpy1234

When I open the iPhoto on my Laptop (MacBook Air), they have a Projects feature, in which I can create photo albums, and then get them printed.

That must have been a book project and to an album. An album in iPhoto will not show any photos, if you delete the photos from iPhoto, because albums just use the photos in the library. A book project does the same, but it can be misleading, because you can still browse the photos on the pages, even after you delete the photos from the library. Only, if you modify the book you'll notice, that the photos have gone from the library.

Since photos could not migrate any projects as projects but only as albums, because Photos has different templates for projects.

If your photos have only been visible in iPhoto projects after you deleted them from the library, but no longer in the iPhoto events, they are gone and you need to reimport them from the folder where you saved them before you deleted them from the Mac.

iPhoto Project Pictures Disappeared!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.