Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error Code 36 when copying iPhoto from external drive back to Mac

I am trying to move my iPhoto library from an external drive back to my Mac. It copies for several hours and then I get Error Code 36 stating the operation can't be completed because some data on my external drive can't be read or written. What is this and how do I get my iPhoto library back to my Mac? Is there a problem with my external drive?

I have always had my iPhoto on an external drive. I am about to purchase a new Mac and want to get all my pics back on my Mac so that when I take my old computer in to the Apple store to have the data transferred to my new Mac, the pictures will then be on my new Mac.

Any help with how I can get iPhoto back on my Mac would be appreciated.

iOS 5

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 6:16 AM

6 replies

Jun 3, 2015 6:20 AM in response to amy from rossmoor

First: is the drive formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?

If it is then the issue could be caused by glitchy file permissions on one file. The workaround: use a back up utility to back up the lIbrary to the new location. This should take care of any glitches along the way. Any utility that stores the files in the same format will do. Chronosync is one such, but there are others and many have free trials.

Jun 3, 2015 6:34 AM in response to Yer_Man

I looked in disk utility and my external drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended.

As far as the workaround, how do I use a back up utility to back up the library to the new location as you referred? Do you mean go in to my time capsule and retrieve the back up from there and then put it on my Mac (as opposed to moving it from my external drive back to my Mac?)

Does this mean that my external drive is corrupted and I can't get the files off of it? This concerns me greatly.

Error Code 36 when copying iPhoto from external drive back to Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.