Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am unable to see vidoes using QT even though they are in .mov - audio works but no picture, just a black screen.

I am unable to see vidoes using QT even though they are in .mov - audio works but no picture, just a black screen.

Any help gratefully received as they are memories from our holidays and the kids are devastated!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010)

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 3:09 AM

5 replies

Jun 3, 2015 9:51 AM in response to monkeymouse

It will be difficult to go much further with this without more information.

QuickTime version?

Video file container (.mov, .mp4, .avi, etc..)

Video and Audio Codecs used (h.264, DivX, AAC,)

The Movie Inspector (Window/Show Movie Inspector) found in QuickTime X is bare bones but is a start. Personally, I would recommend a good app that can tell you more about what formats and codecs are contained in your media. So much easier to get help with this kind of info.

Here is one I use frequently:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mediainfo/id510620098?mt=12

Jun 3, 2015 2:17 PM in response to monkeymouse

monkeymouse wrote:

So; the quicktime version I've tried 10 and 7 - neither worked.

The videos all have the extension .mov

the codes for videos say: H.264, Linear PCM

audio channels: 1

Does that help?

Helps a great deal! I would say normally you wouldn't have trouble here due to the ubiquitous nature of H.264. But H.264 video can be many things. Without getting too technical we next need to see if we can get more info about the flavor of H.264 contained (Looking for what is known as profile and level info if possible).

Have you tried playing the file in another video player (i.e. the free VLC app)? If it plays in VLC, go to the Window menu and drop down to "Media Information"

Here is a screen shot of the Media Info window for an H.264 video in my library in VLC confirming codec details:

User uploaded file

Another question for you is can you tell us what camera or device was used to capture these videos? Are they the original files from the device or has someone edited and exported from a video editing program?

There are some pretty smart folks that hang out in this forum so I'm sure we can get to the bottom of your problem.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.