Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I make logic *not* use a particular MIDI input?

Hi,

I'm using Logic Pro X, which automatically detects and uses any MIDI sources that become available. (v10.1.1, under Yosemite).

I don't want this behavior - I want to tell Logic specifically which available MIDI input devices to use and which not to use.

How does one tell Logic to not use a particular MIDI input device?

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 1:03 AM

3 replies

Jun 3, 2015 3:36 AM in response to chriscorbell

It's ~~~Environment~~~ time!

Logic has always detected all MIDI inputs.

caveat: I'm on Logic 9, but they can't change the Environment too much, someone can correct me if I'm wrong

This is an old picture I used to use for tutorials.

Use the number keys to get into the environment, select the Click & Ports layer.

See the Physical Input? there's a small box in the lower right hand corner you can drag and expand the Physical Input, at the top of the physical input you will see a cable leading from the Sum Out to the keyboard IN (left side of kybrd). Select the cable (turns black) like in the pic and delete it, your other inputs will be listed below the sum, each input has an output connection, can be confusing is you have many MIDI device. From the output junction referencing the MIDI IN you wish to use, drag a cable to the keyboard input.

User uploaded file

Jun 3, 2015 11:25 AM in response to Pancenter

The procedure in LPX is pretty much the same, with a few small changes:

• The Key Command for the Environment is cmd+0 or use the menu command "Window ➤ Open MIDI Environment"
  • The Physical Input cannot be resized anymore. Now it is always that long monster thing (I guess 128 output ports)
  • The placement of the objects is not as "freely" as it was in L9, It is a little bit "funky"

The confusion with multiple outputs is the naming convention. Logic seems to pick up the names stored in the Driver of the MIDI Device, and that could be sometimes a guessing game.

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

How do I make logic *not* use a particular MIDI input?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.